refrigerator door is not closing tightly.

Move enough stuff out of the way the door isn't hitting... :)

Not enough info --

Possibilities...

Hinges sagging/worn on nylon inset bearings? Magnetic seal worn/collapsed?

Reply to
dpb

Friends have a large built-in made in 1992. I think the brand is sub-zero. No freezer in this large box.

Door does not close tightly unless pushed tight.

Machine appears to be tipped back a little (as it should be)

Ideas (other than buy a new one)?

TIA

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Thanks

Lou

Reply to
LouB

The seals at the hinge side of the door may be folding over and resisting closure. Manually distort/overcorrect the seals upon next closure. Let the fridge/seals set and then see if it operates better. If so buy new seals or try to correct the old ones with a little persuasion of the heat from a hair dryer. Also clean the seal contact surfaces so that they are more slick.

Reply to
tnom

LouB wrote on 09 Feb 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

Check the hinges. They may be loose or worn. Adjust them to allow the gasket to touch all around, but not drag on the hinge side.

Check the magnetic gasket. Clean it and the surface it touches well, then apply a *very* thin layer of petroleum jelly to the gasket on the hinge side. I recently replaced a gasket and had to duct-tape the doors shut for a few days until the new gasket conformed to the door. (The hinges weren't adjustable.)

Test gasket seal by shutting the door on a dollar bill. The bill should resist being pulled out. Test all around the door.

Reply to
Steve

These are very expensive. I would not replace it for a poor fitting door gasket. Most closing problems are hinge related. Loosen the hinges, close the door, make sure the gasket is in good condition, set hinges where the gasket can make a good seal and not be pinched/rubbed/hung-up as it closes. If the gasket is damaged, it is fairly easy to replaced, but it sounds like your problem is hinge bind of some type.

Reply to
DanG

LouB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com:

Might think this is silly but does the door have stuff loaded in it?

Does any part of the gasket make good contact? If so, (this suggestion comes from a human being in the appliance repair business) many units are made with a flexible door. You grab high with one hand and low with the other. Push with one hand and pull with the other.

Being 15+ yrs old, the rubber may just no longer be flexible enough for the magnet(s) to pull in when it gets close.

Reply to
Red Green

Use a bungie cord.

Reply to
jim

Take dishwashing detergent and clean the seal.

Reply to
Terry

Thank You!!

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Thought of that but...

Seven year old child is a major user. Daddy has MS and is in a wheelchair. Those two items mean cord would probably be too tight. Also, Unit is a built-in and I can not see where to attach a cord.

Thanks anyway.

Lou

Reply to
LouB