Payback on better windows and / or door

Just moved to The Villages in Florida. Small house built in 1990 has steel door, screen door, single pane windows in aluminum frames. Am looking for sites or info on the payback period for different ways to improve efficiency. House has new A/C - Heat pump from Trane. No way to get to attic to improve insulation up there. There are aluminum awnings over most windows. Some possible ideas I am considering (in no particular order): Storm door with full glass. New front door of wood. Double pane windows - would be vinyl clad. Film on existing windows. Storm windows with full glass. Combination of some of the above.

Yes I am going to Google but there are so many choices. Would prefer replies from folks with experience or training or URLs to good sites.

TIA

Lou

Reply to
Lou

Doors and window are the first place to look when trying to save energy so you are on the right track. Buy good ones if you can afford. If new windows are too expensive then they can sometimes be retrofitted at a lower cost. Storm windows can be installed or repaired and are second only to the primary windows.

After that you look at the attic. Though you can see no way to get into the attic please don't rule it out. It is possible to blow in insulation without actually going up there.

Payback is a bitch and depends upon many variables like your age, the age of the house, what you paid for it, how much you spend, how long you intend to stay and your resale market.

Aside from payback you will be doing the right thing by upgrading if you can afford. Your house will be more comfortable and so will you, lol. Besides, using less energy is good for everbody and will make you feel good about yourself.

Reply to
Lawrence

Sometimes, you can make significant improvements at low cost. For example, look closely at your entry door ... are all the gaskets and sweeps sealing tightly?

Are the windows tight?

Air leaks are more important than ceiling insulation in Florida (I live here).

I am working on my home which is 10 years old. I have big-time air leaks which I am now correcting.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

All is true, but I am 66 and money is kinda tight.

Lou

Reply to
Lou

Will check for air leaks. Thanks