Req suggestions to keep door from closing.

Besides the obvious use of a door stop, is there a way to keep a door from closing when it is left in the open position? I had heard a playing card under the bottom hinge would work, but it didn't. Perhaps I tried the wrong card, dunno. But if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Reply to
Brett Miller

If you mean keep it from swinging close on its own, pull one of the hinge pins, lay it on a block of wood and give it a swat in the middle with a hammer. It doesn't have to be a real hard swat. You're just deforming the pin a bit so it'll bind. Normally that's a bad thing, but probably what you're looking to do.

The door is swinging close because it isn't hung plumb.

RicodJour

Or he could buy a $3 door closer at the hardware and use the built in stop that holds a door in position. We have a door that wants to close under spring pressure and we stuff a silicone lizard in it when going out for short times.

PS. The playing card is supposed to go between the striker and the latch. The poster is not listening close enough to his Watergate type friends.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Jack of diamonds works best.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ok, you don't want a door stop, but that is what I am going to suggest. I use door stops made of small bags filled with gravel. The bags I use have a loop handle, so when I am not using them I pick them up and hang them on the door knob. They aren't heavy duty stops, just enough to keep the door from swinging shut. By hanging them on the door knob they are always available.

The bags I am using actually came from the $1.00 store. They are childrens purses. I chose them because they were small enough, had handles to hang them by, and had zipper closers.

Good luck Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill Gill

I had the same problem with 3 doors. Each door required a different thickness of wood shim under the bottom hinge. It depends on how much the door jamb is out of plumb. I just kept increasing the thickness of the shim until the door stayed open. I put the shim under the bottom hinge against the jamb.

Good Luck

Jim

Reply to
Jim Jacobs

OP didn't ask how to keep the door from latching, he asked how to keep it from swinging closed. The playing card was advised as a shim placed behind the offending hinges to make the door hang plumb. Depending on the situation, that may work, but it may also interfere with the spacing between the door and frame.

RicodJour

You could wait and hope that the upcoming change to the Supreme Court enabled by O'connor's resignation today will result in a better chance that they will repeal the law of gravity.

That will make about as much sense as the eminent domain decision they made within the last week.

OT, I tried the buggered hinge pin thing to keep my office door from swinging shut. While it worked, I couldn't stand the unnatural drag I felt every time I had a needed to open or close the door.

I bought a commercial door holder for $3. It uses a ball shaped part mounted to the door and a spring loaded socket on the wall base moulding. (It works so well that it brings to mind the times I've had to toss a bucket of water on two dogs.)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia