Swimming Pool Problem

All of a sudden, this season, when the pump stops running, I get a backwards flow of water through the skimmer, bringing along with it some diatomaceous earth from the filter which then gets into the pool and ends up on the bottom. Never had this problem before. Other than that, the system still works fine. Any thoughts as to what's happening?

Reply to
Dave Schwartz

Last time your filter was cleaned, was the proper amount of DE added? Adding too much will cause this problem.

Reply to
Rick

Your sucking in air somewhere open the bleeder vavle see if air comes out

Reply to
Spud

Air is getting in. I've had this sort of problem twice and both times it turned out that the drain plug in the bottom of the filter strainer had cracked and was letting air in.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

same place my air was getting in

Reply to
Spud

"Dave Schwartz" wrote in message news:S%8xe.4720$ snipped-for-privacy@fe12.lga...

It sounds like the back-flow valve or flapper isn't doing its job. Sometimes, as in a Hayward, the "valve" is a simple piece of rubber that gets sucked down onto the inlet if the water tries to backflow. Do you have a see thru pump cover to see the earth coming out of the tank? Check it when the pump stops. If not, open it up and then open the air-release on the filter and watch to see if water comes back from the tank. This will lose your prime, but if it's self priming it shouldn't matter.

Just a thought, esp if it was disassembled for cleaning.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Check valve (or vacuum breaker) somewhere has stuck open (or closed).

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Most pool filters have an antt-backflow valve that prevents water from going the wrong way. On my Hayward EC-40, it's located at the water inlet to the filter (where the pump is connected to). Mine broke many years ago, but I have an above ground pool, and the water would have to travel up hill for the DE to get to the skimmer. You didn't mention if yours is above or in ground, but I would guess that it is an in ground pool, and your DE is going downhill. If it's a Hayward, the valve is replaceable, but I think it is glued in place, and you would have to totally dissassemble the filter to get to it. You can check if it is still there, by blocking both the skimmer and the return pipes, and uncouple the pump from the filter. Stick your finger into the filter and you should feel a hinged piece of plastic that flaps up & down. If you don't feel it, then that's your problem.

RON ======================================================== Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Reply to
Ron in NY