Garage door closing with a clunk

House is about 10 years old and no manual in sight. Suggestions based on experience??

TIA

Lou

Reply to
LouB

For starters how about a little more info such as where is the "clunk" coming from? Opener or door? Is it binding? Does it "clunk" with the opener disconnected and operated manually?

No where near enough info for even a guess......

Reply to
benick

Guy who posts something like that-- just tell him to put cotton in his ears. Problem solved...

Reply to
Joseph Wheeler

Clunk occurs as door comes down under power. Never thought to try door without power and will do so.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Your helpful comment shows how smart you are.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

try getting manual from door makers web site. it may assist you.

Clunk occurs as door comes down under power. Never thought to try door without power and will do so.

Lou

Reply to
trailer

Louie, your wife often whispers the same thing in my ear right afterwards....

Reply to
Joseph Wheeler

It may be a simple as adjusting the limit switch to keep the door from closing hard enough to give the forceful closing.

Reply to
elgee

LouB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com:

Here is my input based on the info you took all the trouble to give.

Reply to
Red Green

Could be a number of causes. Garage door opener needs adjusted. Garage door springs need adjusted........Or ( my first guess), if you live in a freeze area, the floor may have heaved up due to freezing causing it to "clunk" when it fully closed. You can adjust the travel limit of your opener to compensate if it is due to freezing.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

I agree. I would add to the limit switch an adjustment to the clutch as well may be needed.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

on 2/11/2009 12:22 PM (ET) LouB wrote the following:

What kind of opener do you have, the track with chain or the coiled spring type? Does it clunk when it starts to close, during the travel somewhere, or when it contacts th the floor? Where does the clunk noise originate from, the motor, the track or coil, the door itself? Is there a visible momentary stoppage, shudder, or other unusual movement when it clunks?

Reply to
willshak

Thank goodness it is not your first guess since house is in The Villages Florida. Thanks for the effort:-))

Lou

Reply to
LouB

It is clunking when it hits the floor which makes me think it is the limit adjustment. Now I just need to find where it is.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Hi, If it does not do it when manually closed, sounds like limit switch is out of adjustment.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Your completely useless description of the problem shows the same about you.

Reply to
mkirsch1

I am hoping that is all it is.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Aren't you completely amazed that several folks provided good hints and suggestions??

Lou "It takes just as much time to be nice to someone as it does to be a jerk. So why be a jerk?" Tim Russet quoting his father Big Russ

Reply to
LouB

Or the attachment point.

Reply to
HeyBub

Ok, I am probably wrong on my first guess, but, I have heard it is getting to the freezing temps in your area of Fla. Don't discount the possibility of heaving. Adjusting the limit switch adjustment should solve your problem even if it isn't heaving up.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank