door knob screws keep loosening

I have this door knob whose screws keep loosening. I have to tighten them every month. I have already added a lock washer to each screw. That doesn't help.

I have thought of using superglue or other glue to glue the screws to their nuts but I don't want to do it before I have exhausted all other means.

Reply to
Oumati Asami

Loctite

Reply to
WWS TEXAS

A regular lock washer? Would a star washer maybe work better?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yes, loctite, but get the strength that is made for screw that you want to remove some day. If not you will have to heat them up to let the higher strength version loosen up.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On Sun 08 Apr 2018 07:45:45p, Oumati Asami told us...

Loctite manufactures a product called Threadlocker. It comes in

5each one made for a difrerent purpoose. It's meant to be app.lied to the threads of a screw or bolt and then treaded into a corresponding nut. You'll ned to check which is applicable fooryour use.
Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

If you are near a sporting goods store look for 'Guntite'. It's a Locktite product but is low strength and meant for small scope mounting screws and so forth that you want to disassemble sometime.

In a hardware store it would be Loctite Blue 242.

rbowman

That would be the blue version. And I agree it's a good solution. Just a drop should do. Even crazy glue would probably work ok too.

If not you will have to heat them up to let the

Reply to
trader_4

Sounds like the screw holes in the lockset might be partially stripped or worn out.

I have tremendous success with such issues using the Mr. Grip repair material. You use a pair of scissors to cut whatever size strip you need, insert in each screw hole and thread in the screws. I find it is a very effective, permanent repair. You can get them on Amazon.

None
[snip]

Interesting period there.

Reply to
Jim J

On Mon 09 Apr 2018 07:51:56a, Jim J told us...

Yes, wasn't it? Must have been a result of my creative writing class. :-)

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Thanks. I once bought it at Lowe's or Home Depot but couldn't find it later.

Reply to
Oumati Asami

Thanks. Never heard of it. I'll look for it.

Reply to
Oumati Asami

Maybe. I'll try it before using glue of some sort.

Reply to
Oumati Asami

Don't. Lockwashers work to keep thes screw from turning by "binding" it to the surface. This requires seating a head, Set screws on doorknobs do not have a "head" and if they do they should never seat on the surface. The set screw needs to seat on the shaft of the latch and cannot do that if it bottoms or seats on the surface of the knob. First step - get the proper screw. Second step, make sure it is seating onthe provided "flat" on the shaft. If it STILL loosens after that, resort to a thread locker. This canbe as simple as nail polish - but loc-tite or equivalent thread lockers work better - just use the RIGHT one (removeable)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Most people would just buy a new doorknob, but if youre too cheap to do that, tighten the screw as tight as you can get it. Then grab your stick or mig welder and weld that screw to the knob.It wont come loose again.

Reply to
Bud

Just so you know, this is happening to me right now WITH brand new door knobs. So your comment is a little shortsighted.

Reply to
Maya

With cheapassed chinese foorknobs (and some others) you need to put locking compound like loctite - ir even ringernail polish - on the screws before inserting and tightening. Then they will NOT loosen.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yes go with the Loctite or similar. Just be sure you use the kind that can be unscrewed with just the screwdriver. They make several grades and some have to be heated or you will never get the screw out.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If cheap is in, wrap some thread on the screw.

Reply to
Thomas