Door Knob for extra thick gate

I have a gate that is framed with 4x4's. I want to put a doorknob in it but am having trouble finding doorknobs that fit doors over 2" thick. Does anyone know where I can find exterior door knobs for 3.5" thick doors?

Reply to
tmatusaitis

Do you want a knob on one side or an operating latch set with knobs on both sides? If the latter, then some latch sets will work if you use longer retaining screws. You can get good advice and likely even the exact thing you need at a lock and key pro shop. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

on 8/12/2007 11:34 AM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said the following:

Wouldn't it be just be a matter of using longer screws and a longer operating rod?

Reply to
willshak
21 years a locksmith. Never seen thicker than 2 1/4 thick.

You may have to build it yourself.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not sure if you're talking about doorknobs in the sense that are used on regular doors. Or if you are talking about latches that can be worked from both sides. A latch that can be worked on both sides would be easy for a welder or fabricator to make, and come up with something that looks great. If you just want regular brass doorknobs, I'm sure the lock shop will have a solution for you.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I ran into this about 20 years ago. There may have been some new knobs invented since then, but at that time there did not seem to be anything commercially available for the extra thick door.

I took the doorknob that I wanted to use and welded an extension onto the square center rod that turns the latching mechanism. Got some longer screws and it worked fine.

Reply to
Robert Allison

For a standard lockset, no; don't think you'll find any.

You could look for gate hardware and probably find something in a latch that might have that reach, but over 3" is pretty long even there...

Two choices -- as someone else said start w/ a regular lockset and make the longer rod. All you need is some square stock and a die to thread the ends for the knobs if you select carefully. Most could be adapted to screw onto the surface from both sides if the high-security of no fasteners on one side isn't needed. Otherwise, you'll need to substitute for the through hardware as well.

Alternatively, make a "landing" area for the lockset that is thinner to handle the lockset of choice.

Reply to
dpb

Did you ever think about routing out a recessed area on either side of the 4x4? You could remove 3/4" to 1" of material from each side making a large enough indentation with enough room for your hand to grab the knob. Just a thought......

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
unclemon

Not likely. Can you take a pic and up it to tinypic.com, I might have an idea.

Reply to
Meat Plow

on 8/12/2007 11:55 AM SteveB said the following:

I didn't ask the question.

Reply to
willshak