Larson Storm Door PRoblems

MY 6-year-old Larson storm dooor latch mechanism died today. I went out to get the newspaper and the storm door wouldn't open when I tried to get back in the house. I had to ring the doorbell to get my wife to open the garage door so I could get back in. Fotunately, the weather was good.

After considerable prying weith knives and putty knives, I was aboe to get the door open. WHat happened was that the latch mechanism had disconneted itself from the bars that retract it from the outward position where it rests against the striker plate. There is one spot where the metal cross-section is only about 1/8" square, and that is where the mechanism broke.

Went to the Larson web site, they would sell a complete new latch assembly for $45 or so. Called their hotline phone, after the web site said it was open Monday thru Saturday (today is Saturday in the Chicago area), only to get the message that they are only open Mon - Friday. Their wab site needs fixing.

Went to our local Menards where the door was purchased 6 years ago. They had a replacement door latch kit for only $35. Bought it and came home to install. I discovered that the latch assembly would not work on my Larson door because the handle assembly sould not reach the outside lever/doorknob. Also, the replacement was a totally different locking schemeee, with a key and turn the center of the knob like in residential interior doors.

I was able to remove the handle from one side of the replacement assembly and use it and the new latching mechanism to restore the door. The only difference is there is now no way to lock the storm door, but we haven't used that feature of the door more than 4 times in six years, so that is ok. The new "brass" color is different from the old doorr, but that is only visible when you look at both the inside and outside knobs/levers at the same time, which is also pretty infrequently.

So, I ended up spending $39.50 including tax, to replace the latching assembly because Larson used such a cheap piece of potting metal on a strategic piece of their door. I never buy Larson again!!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

I have Emco storm doors. One door has been replaced twice, free of charge, my labor. These doors are sold as "Forever Doors" and their claim is that you will buy their door only ONE time. Home Depot sells them.

I would expect Larson would send you a free replacement. Let us know what they said after you call the hotline on Monday.

Reply to
Phisherman

You could have waited until Monday, gotten a free handle assembly and put the 39.95 towards a new spell checker. BTW, they all use cheap potted metal

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That was pretty coarsely written.

Reply to
Red Green

That's OK - I didn't bother to check my message, I was so pissed off. Also, I had to get the door assembly fixed so that we could use the front door on our house. We wanted to be able to keep the full inside door open and use the screen door for ventilation and to keep the bugs out. We are having a late summer or and Indian summer here in the Chicago area (Naperville). I'll post whatever happens after I contact Larson on Monday. I do expect that they will reimburse me if I send them the bill and the defective latch assembly.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi, Because of one incidence you boycott a brand? My top of line Larson door I installed 15 years ago is still working fine. I think they are good doors. It took a beating when my two teenager kids were growing up. Nothing broke yet on the door.

Since my son-in-law has a fine instrument machine shop with lots of moulding capacity, I can have any broken metal parts duplicated with choice of material.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

They have stopped selling the type of latch assembly that was in my door . The new one is different.. Perhaps because the design was flawed?????

Reply to
hrhofmann

Mr Pawlowski Generally replies offer useful helpful information. Yours seems filled with nothing more than a snide, sarcastic comment. Just in case you haven't not iced, this is a DIY help kinda forum, Not a "proper spelling" or "English" class. So,To aid you in the future regarding your concern for proper use of letters that comprise the conventionally accepted form of a word and its p unctuation, I've enclosed a generous supply of letters and punctuation mark s to be used by you to fill in where necessary to satisfy your need for pro per spelling so you wont have to post sarcastic remarks like the one you po sted here. In the likely event you have any items left over, please feel to insert them right up your A$$.

qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm,.!@#$%^&**()_+?~., MNBVCXZLKJHGFDSAPOIUYTREWQ.,1230987654';":?!*)(

Reply to
chagrin.fu

[...]

Yes, Chagrin Fucked Up (we know your full name)

You certainly told him a thing or two. You have your work cut out for you since you're running about 6½ years behind the times.

LOL!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I'm still trying to find some useful information in your reply. The only thing I found was snide and sarcastic comments.

Here's some useful information for you: Go f*ck yourself!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Yes, I noticed that. I feel bad about it too. I've not slept well since. I really feel bad about it. Honest. Can't lie because I went to Catholic school.

Just in case you haven't noticed, this is a DIY help kinda forum, Not a "proper spelling" or "English" class. So,To aid you in the future regarding your concern for proper use of letters that comprise the conventionally accepted form of a word and its punctuation, I've enclosed a generous supply of letters and punctuation marks to be used by you to fill in where necessary to satisfy your need for proper spelling so you wont have to post sarcastic remarks like the one you posted here. In the likely event you have any items left over, please feel to insert them right up your A$$.

Thank you for the assorted letters. I'm a product of 12 years of Catholic schools and we were marked down for incorrect spelling so I wanted to help you.. Most of the guys here apprecite it when I correct their spleeing orrors. I'm good at it.

FYI. wont should be spelled won't. I took the apostrophe you included in my gift letter collection and used it here to demonstrate how Sister Cherubina would spell it. I will print out the rest and see if they fit my anal orifice. I'll lube them in olive oil. I like Italian food.

Thank you for your gift. Much appreciated.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Be sure to light a candle, eh?

Th'e us'e of apostrophe's reall'y needs carefu'l consideratio'n.

I luf it wen you correct their speeling orror's.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Im' o'kay with that

Reply to