Winter gas blends

Do winter gas blend start arriving now in the midwest, doesnt it reduce milage, no luck so far on google.

Reply to
ransley

on 10/7/2008 8:38 AM ransley said the following:

The winter blend mix started shipping nationwide in mid September. The cheaper gas prices lately are in some way the result of the change, since the winter blend is cheaper to produce than the summer blend, which contains additives to reduce heat related pollution.

Reply to
willshak

So what? It's for the children (and the trees and the Star-Faced mole, and the unicorns, and the rainbows).

I believe in the Chicago area, there are several DIFFERENT blends mandated (eleven, if memory serves), all in the same county.

Reply to
HeyBub

willshak wrote: ...

It's not at all clear to me there's any significant difference in the actual cost of the blends at all--most of the cost associated w/ the blending is actually simply the requirements for extra handling and segregation of product streams, etc., ...

The reduction at the pump is directly tied to the drop in market price--from peak of nearly $150/bbl to close yesterday under $90.

--

Reply to
dpb

I thought the winter blend had higher volatiles to make cold starting easier. Not true?

Reply to
jack

jack wrote: ...

Basically, yes, for climates where it's cold enough to really make any difference. Much of the US really doesn't get cold enough to matter much.

I'm not all that certain what specifically is in the "veritable plethora" of various blends required for the specific EPA and state/local mandates for pollution controls. Ethanol is one component of many...

Reply to
dpb

Winter blends contain more butane which probably does not reduce mileage but if you add ethanol, then ethanol does reduce mileage. Don't think they have added more than 10% ethanol here and its used year round. The fine hand of the EPA and states like the land of the fruits and the nuts with all the boutique gasoline blends have made a mess of things.

Reply to
Frank