35" Storm door?

My door frame out side of front door measures 37 by 81 I need a decorative security or screen door

Reply to
Allen

There are companies that will make any size you need. Give them the measurement of the opening and they will make what you need.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I thought the people who gave advice about this to the original poster starting back in 2008. gave some good advice. You've been around a long time.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

LOL 13 years ago, 9 years ago, 5 years ago, and even Micky & Fretwell 1 year ago

For full context, visit

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Is there a question in there someplace or did you just feel like sharing those 2 random pieces of information?

A typical homeownershub post - one that lacks enough detail to be addressed without a shitload of speculation and assumptions.

Let's start with this:

You say "security or screen door". Big, big, big difference. Which of those do you really need?

What is it that you are actually asking of us? Do you want us to find you a door? That ain't gonna happen.

Have you looked up how to measure for a screen door? A security door?

Seriously, what kind of response are you looking for from us?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

My door is actually 35” also. 36” won’t fit. House is 23 years old & not sure what to do. Opening is also barely over 35”? So no 36” for me.

Reply to
Sreising18

3 options come to mind:

1 - Avoid the home centers. Find a distributor that the contractors use (most of them will sell direct to the consumer) or a custom door and window dealer. Search by brand name. Maybe start with ProVia (quality storm doors) and use their "where to buy" tool. Most stores on the list will usually carry other brands so starting with specific brands will get you the contact information you need. You may need a custom door (pricey) but it'll be a good door.

2 - Buy a 34" door and pad out the rough opening with wood or vinyl, 1/2" on each side. Then trim it out as needed. Depending on what you have now, width-wise, you might have to make some custom trim, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to layer some flat stock and stock trim to cover the extra 1/2".

3 - I don't know how the opening for your storm door is currently constructed, but I'd look closely and see if the opening is actually wider than you think. It's possible that the opening is already padded out/shimmed for the 35" door and all you need to do is remove some wood to create wider opening. I'd start by removing the outside trim/brickmold and see what's behind it. Again, I don't know what you are starting with, so maybe that's not possible.

#3 is what I was able to do at my house. Once I removed the outside trim, I found that I could widen the opening for a wider door. Granted, I was replacing both the entry door and storm door, I ripped out all the extra wood, but I could have just widened the storm door area if I had too.

Good luck!

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I live in. Manufactured home and they are 79x 35. Pain in the ars.

Reply to
Fostertl60