scrap wood cut to custom sizes at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.???

I just need some wood for shelving, under appliances, etc. Do the big boys like Home Depot and Lowes offer custom-sized wood for their customers? Maybe from scrap pieces they have around?

Reply to
Eych

No, They will usually do one cut on a board (as in to make it fit in your car) but will not cut to a close tolerance. Places that do custom millwork often (and justifiebly) charge a good price for their skills and use of machines. See if a neighbor has a saw and will do it for you. Most of us wouold be happyt to do a quick job for a friend down the street.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

They have some rejects/scrap bins, but what's in them is random.

They will cut stuff to rough length, but you can't count on it being more than within an inch or so of what you need and it will be cut on a big, large tooth, probably dull, saw.

They do usually carry shelving boards from glued-up oak, I've seen some of these in 3-ft lengths although I doubt even they are precise. This is pretty pricey material every time I've noticed what they were asking for it.

To get anything cut to actually fit, you'll either have to cut it yourself or take precise measurements to a cabinet shop or some-such who will take the time to do it right.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

AS they are in the business of selling wood, shelves, and the tools to cut them, I don't think they will happily slice up scrap for you. Ask a friend or neighbor, most would do a few cuts for the cost of friendly conversation or can of cold beer!

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

At the local HD they will do the cuts on a vertical panel saw or on a decent-looking RAS. They have a big sign saying that they don't guarantee any better than 1/8".

I've had them do a few cuts for me (can't handle a full sheet in the car) and they came out pretty decent, but I'm sure it varies depending on who's doing the cutting.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Oh, that's far better than any I've had the "pleasure" of using.

The Borgs I've used all have what started out as a nice piece of equipment, but it's almost always showing signs of having been sorely abused and probably isn't within an 1/8" on alignment, even...not counting the doofus running it... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Just went over to HD and they cut my piece on the vertical panel saw. They didn't have any decent scraps, but I bought a piece for a few bucks.

Reply to
Eych

If you get someone who KNOWS how to use the panel saw and is in a good mood, you can get most wood cut for you.. I bought 3 sheets of hardboard at Home Depot a few months back and had them rip each sheet into 8' x 12" (minus kerf) strips... The 1st 2 cuts were free and the 3rd cut in each was supposed to be 50 cents, but he didn't charge... he said the charge was there to keep people from having

5 or 6 cuts in a piece of 2x4.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Reply to
nospambob

I agree. Tell the guy you will give him a tip based on the accuracy of his cut. Then you will get a super accurate cut...

Reply to
Bob the Tomato