Home Depot return policy

I'm guessing someone on this list knows. I returned a water heater, today. Purchased Jan 26, 2004. Six year warranty.

The returns desk refunded me my original $198 or whatever it was (including the tax). Gave me a store credit "gift" card. And sent me to go buy another water heater. Which was $388. So, it cost me about $190 to replace a WH that was in warranty.

I thought they would say "sorry, sir" and send me home with a new WH, at no charge. They blamed GE / Hotpoint for that policy.

Does anyone know?

Oh, it's nice to have hot water, again. And yes, I did install a shutoff.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Depending on what the warranty said, you might have been able to get your money back rather than accept a gift card. That being said, it crapped out during the warranty period so they "refunded" you what you paid. What's your beef?

Reply to
William Munny

The old heater was probably "Old Design," while the new one is "New Design," which costs a lot more.

Reply to
Andy

I expected them to replace the WH at no charge to me. That's my beef.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:gvn4mv$48g$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Understand you had to uninstall and install new one prematurely which stinks. Look at the bright side and take into consideration:

You got 5 years of use for no charge. At least it wasn't pro rated. It didn't fail just after warranty was up.

Was the replacement a truly equivalent heater which cost 190 more?

Was it a GE/Hotpoint? .

Reply to
Red Green

Don't think while in HD?!!

Reply to
Oren

On 5/28/2009 3:53 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

No, but I could be like that other guy here--you know, the one who tells everyone to just Google it--and tell you to look on their web site, which has some information about returns:

But I wouldn't do that.

Interesting that they don't say anything about returns made more than 90 days after purchase, even though you obviously did just that.

Here's the info from that page:

Our Store Return Policy Basics

Returns within 90 days of purchase and with a valid sales receipt will be exchanged, refunded in cash, credited to your account or refunded via The Home Depot store credit.

Return and Product Exceptions

- Purchases made with store credit, gift certificates and gift cards will be refunded as store credit. Store credits cannot be used to purchase gift cards.

- Gasoline-powered equipment may be returned within 30 days of purchase with a valid sales receipt. After 30 days, item may be sent out for repair at the customer?s expense, unless covered under warranty.

Sorry, Returns Not Available on the Following Products:

-Custom made products and custom tinted paint -Gift cards, gift certificates and store credits -Utility trailers

-Special Order returns are subject to 15% restocking fee. Cancellations may be subject to 15% restocking fee**

-Cash and cash equivalent purchases, exceeding $1,000, may be refunded as mail check. Checks are mailed from The Home Depot?s Store Support Center in Atlanta, GA

-Receipts for purchases made with credit, debit or check within the last

90 days may be located in our system. Ask about receipt look up

-The Home Depot reserves the right to limit or refuse to accept the return of merchandise at any time and for any reason

-Purchases made at homedepot.com or other The Home Depot Companies may not be returned at a The Home Depot store, unless the item is stocked or sold in the returning store.

-Items purchased at The Home Depot US, The Home Depot Canada or The Home Depot Mexico may not be returned across borders

-Returns of merchandise after 90 days in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and after 120 days in Rhode Island from the date of original purchase with a receipt: Sales tax will NOT be refunded. Customers will be issued credit for the purchase price of the item(s) only. NOTE: Even exchanges of merchandise are not affected by this rule.

-Customer Agreement purchases must be returned to the same store location where originally purchased

**See Special Services Desk at your local store for details.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

This wasn't a "return". It was a warranty claim.

Gemerally speaking it's a warranty offered by the manufacturer (not the retailer).

And they normally promise repair or replacement (at their discretion).

You should check the original documentation and/or contact the manufacturer. You may be entitled to a better deal.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

On 5/28/2009 5:20 PM Malcolm Hoar spake thus:

Doh! Why didn't I think of that? Of course it is.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yours is not a question on HD's return policy, but on how the warranty for your GE water heater works. These are 2 very different things.

Before I took my water heater back to HD, I would have called GE and found out exactly how the warranty worked. I'm not sure I'd put a lot of faith in the guy/gal at HD to know the warranty terms.

I suggest you call GE anyway and explain the situation.Oh yeah...don't be surprised if you call GE Customer Care and they give you a number for HD. They sell their water heaters exclusively through HD and may refer you to them fro warranty questions. If the store did something wrong, they may be able to make it right. It's worth a shot...

BTW Are you sure it's a Hotpoint? My GE Profile is made by Rheem.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I didn't think of it, either.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm going to bed a bit early, today. As it happens, I do have the original paper work. I'll try to remember to read that, tomorrow. It is very possible that the original paper work will clear up the confusion.

Perhaps I got screwed over, and perhaps I got what was coming to me. Tomorrow, after a night sleep, we'll see. Thanks for the good idea. Tonight, I'm not thinking as clearly as I should be.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you checked the warranty, I believe you would find it a limited (read prorated) warranty. Basically on the 6 year, it's a 5 year tank & 1 year parts. Unless, you bought the higher end 6 yr. But for the original price of 190, I doubt very much it's a higher end with a 6 year tank & parts warranty.

_If_ this was a limited warranty, count your blessings you got anything.

Reply to
Cal

I would not have thought they would refund anything after that long. The MFG provides the warranty.

And yes they have gone up that much in 5 years.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Here in Maine there is an "implied warrantee" law that is for 4 YEARS...How does that work..In any other states????

Reply to
benick

Just curious, what size water heater was this? I'd be amazed that you could buy a 40 gal one for $198 5 years ago. I replaced mine with one from HD maybe 7 or 8 years ago and paid a lot more than that for one that was nothing special.

Reply to
trader4

I would not have thought of that. I do have the paper work that came with. I'll have to read that, see what it says. Thank you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is this meant to be a joke?

Reply to
Kuskokwim

I just replaced my late mother-in-law's 40-gallon water heater that died on year seven of the six year warranty. I would have loved to have gotten the original price ($180) back to offset the cost of the new one ($340 + parts, taxes and inspection fees).

Both should have lasted longer. Anyone want to buy a town home in Minnesota (It's got a new water heater)?

dss

Reply to
dss

Only if the advertized claim of 6 years warranty was a joke.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar