Inclinometer at Home Depot or Lowes?

Either the people at Home Depot are buffoons or I didn't ask the right question. I searched their website and found squat. Do they have an inclinometer? I just need a $5 one to line up my satellite dish. Beyond that it will sit in a drawer.

Reply to
Edward

Why not make one with a protractor, a weight, and a bit of string?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I have to be pretty accurate. Hehe... good idea though.

Reply to
Edward

$10.00 at Sears. The same price I paid for mine about 20 years ago. Same design

Joseph Meehan

Just encase you can get that whole link, do a search for "Universal Protractor"

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Is what you're looking for something like this? Or close? Lowe's, HD, Ace, HF, etc.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

For future reference, there is little relationship between what is on HD's website and what is in their stores. Same with Lowe's. It's quite amazing.

OTOH, Radio Shack, for all its faults, definitely has the same set of items (if it says it is usually in stock) and allows you to check a particular store. It runs a day behind, and there is always the possibility someone could buy it before you get there, but they give you a list of stores that have it. I wonder why those programmers are so much better than Hd's.

Reply to
mm

The Home Depot website is almost worthless. They only list a small fraction of what is in the stores. (And they list a bunch of stuff that is online only, which is even more annoying!).

I just made sure the mount was level, using a level, and then used a cheap protractor to get the dish angle right. That got it close enough to get a decent signal, which could then be tweaked to perfection.

This really pissed off the friend who was helping me, as he had taken a couple hours when he installed his. I just set mine to the right angle on the protractor, set the azimuth using a cheap compass--and I had a signal. Total aiming time--about 3 minutes. :-)

Later, I cemented my reputation as being a superstar of satellite dish aiming when we were helping a friend see if the friend could get DirectTV. There was some uncertainty as to whether trees blocked the satellite, so we took a receiver and dish over to his place, to do a test. After they futzed around for 30 minutes, trying to get some kind of temporary mount to work, I said "screw that...give it to me" and picked up the dish, and simply held it in my hands, trying to point toward where the satellite should be--and we got a good signal, which I was able to hold for about 20 seconds, giving them plenty of time to see that he did indeed have a good view of the satellite.

(I understand it is harder now, because of the multi-satellite dishes, which need to be oriented much more precisely. Might be worth letting the pros do it...with an appropriate threat to switch to a different satellite provider or to cable, you can probably get them to do it for free to keep you as a customer).

Reply to
Tim Smith

Walter R.

You could make one, but if you have a Harbor Freight in your area,

Larry W

HD has them in the tools section near the hammers and wrecking bars. I use mine to set up driveshafts.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The Egyptians built the freakin' PYRAMIDS with a protractor and a string !

And you don't need to be precise for a satellite dish. Once you find the satellite, you watch the on-screen measurements as you manipulate the dish to achieve maximum indicated signal strength.

Reply to
HeyBub

What's wrong with a compass, level and a protacter? Or a beer bottle and a ruler?

Reply to
Goedjn

Bullshit! Once you own one, if you build much at all, or know anything about math, they come in handy lots of times. You'll be amazed at how many times you use it, and how it can save you time. Unless, of course, you're one of the twenty-something public educated kids who can't make change for a twenty. They can use it for a paper weight or a neat little toy that spins when you shake it...................... kewl, dude, look at this .................

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I've turned up the volume on the TV and heard the signal from out the back door. When it peaks, tighten the dish up.

A level, compass... and a few minutes.

This dish had a gauge stamped on the side that gave approximate degree of adjustment.

A good ear and wrench and it is done.

-- Oren

Oren

Look a the dish mount. It there a gauge stamped into the metal?

-- Oren

Oren

You shouldn't need an inclinometer to line up a dish. I have installed lots of them and as long as you plumb the mast you just set the elevation per the hash marks on the mount.

Reply to
George

"Steve B" wrote in news:XII0i.229456$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe15.phx:

Just buy a plastic protractor and tape it to a level. Then get a camping compass to get the right direction.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Hash marks is the word!

I called it a stamped gauge :-))

-- Oren

Oren

Built a network once. Department Heads were left out of the process.

Good thing the CEO listened to IT staff; plus using the money wisely.

-- Oren

Oren