home depot/ Lowes

Lowes opened in our area about 5 years ago & hired a friend of mine with extensive nursery experience. I believe she made approx $35,000. per year. She was also sent by them to other Lowes that were opening in the area at that time to help det up their nursery depts. After about 2 years of this, she was fired on some trumped up charge. Also many others fired at that time. Used to be able to go in there in any dept & get good advice. No longer . The nursery plants often look pathetic. This is an opportunity for niche marketing for locals. ( $35,000 yearly is ok for our area in the lower midwest)

Reply to
cricket

Niche marketing? Are you referring to opening nurseries staffed by people who work there because they like plants? OK. Let's run with this idea. Have you checked your yellow pages? Are there any nurseries?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

"cricket" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com...

I didn't get to finish mine.... Lowes/HD hire out of each other to "thin" the crop out...I know of several who took the bait and jumped ship to the other....When you leave either box store and you give 2 weeks notice you need NOT to say,"to the other", because they will "walk " you out right there....Thats pathetic...Then you work for whatever the "deal" was for a while and they find some "trumped up charge" to nail you on and fire you...Then you can't go back to the other because you were released with a "no rehire" code and BAM! you are in the IHATEHOMEDEPOT/LOWES.COM crowd....The Sunday paper comes out every week loaded with jobs....I was looking for one when I got this one.....No big deal....As for the "hardware store" commentary person...Neither is a hardware store...They are Home Improvement stores where you could literally build a home out of either "warehouse"....I see GOOD people come and go from here and for no other reason but for burnout and fatigue....It will be my turn soon, but I figure it's a time of learning and earning respect from those that moved to a house from a condo in NYC or such and haven't a clue... Both HD and Lowes have seen major changes in the last few years....It used to be you needed to know every dept in the store but now its just keep packing down theory and you don't need to know anything.... Where I live , there are 8 stores in both Lowes And HD's districts.....One has 600 more ft employees than the other....We're gettin our asses kicked..... More to come.... Sort of like "where do you grocery shop????" Beers colder here, veggies suck there, they NEVER have my whatever there...Then they change CEO's again and the fav isn't the fav no more... Oh yea......I shop at both.............Deals you know............

Reply to
KCnRichmond

You write just like "Maddie"

Reply to
Travis

KC, Travis said, You write just like "Maddie" You can take that as a compliment!

Reply to
TomKan

I did enjoy reading her posts

I thought it might be her using a different name.

Reply to
Travis

Nope ...Not Maddie...Its really me...

My point has taken off very well in these Box store posts....Those that have really slammed the box stores with different sagas and downgraded the ones who shop there can only prove one thing...YOU MUST SHOP THEM TO KNOW SO DAMN MUCH !!!..Its funny that the seed was sowed a week ago and this grew faster than my Lady Banks..... Hoo Haw..... I applaud the ones who shop there in search of "off"things..One of the Snooty uppity local nurseries here has a "Master Gardener" who works there that shops me all the time in my Orchid section because I get the plain easy Phalens that they can't.... Splain dat o wiser than most, if you can... Oh crap, that's another load of bunk there.....Master Gardener titles flung about...I was talking to a customer a few weeks ago about their newly purchased home...They were from Terhan and knew absolutely nothing about anything green. (their words) We got on about a whole season in brief just on lawns, different mowers, plants, weedeaters, hurricanes, mulches, etc. and they were amazed that it wasn't rocket science...Anyway to cut short, this bug-eyed woman overheard us and abruptly stood in between us and pretty much said the same thing I had gone through about lawns, and I thought she was just being helpful until she said and I friggin quote..."Don't listen to these people they are just staffers getting you to buy as much as possible, whereas I, am a Master Gardener and I know way more than these people".....Un-friggin quote.....I hadn't "sold" anything...I only showed diffrent products, fertilizer, grass seed, lime and what it does, NPK basics, etc....See they both were chemical engineers with DuPont and we were at ease with getting in deapth about cool stuff and pulling actual brain matter out (previous post on various hort calsses w/universities)...Anyway they abruptly dismissed her...She got drooling mad at Me....Oh for the love of God.....Cause I had the damn apron on....I spoke not one word while my new herioc superfriends downgraded her in front of other customers who, I swear, Cheered them on and the Friggin "Master Gardener" turned and screemed at me about harrassing her...I pointed to the big blue globe above us and said," Maam....We're on camera....The video will show this, right now, is the first I have spoken to you....Holy Crap Martha.... It was a great day for us dumb ol box store garden, lets see how was it put in a previous post....Oh yea, wind up as a HD nursery consultant after being laid off (Stuby)...

More yet...

Oh yea, keep up with the opinions af previous posts....Notice I haven't once slammed Lowes like Madgardener likes to do HD....We're all in the same profession toots just different aprons... I am a HD employee but the interesting thing is, I do commercials...You all have seen me in different stuff but,...The Lowes commercial last year where the little girl sees Santa? The Lowes employee in the next shot putting his hand on his heart when they say "we promise"..... Hi yall!!!! Bucks is bucks to me....I own stock in a few markets, but I make sure I have both HD and Lowes.....Now eying Wallmart closely.......

"Travis" wrote in message news:lWZue.647$J12.517@trnddc05...

Reply to
KCnRichmond

Glad you were able to help the couple from Iran. Now, if you could find the time to get to an orthopedist or neurologist, it would be a great service to this newsgroup. You've....got...some....sort....of twitch in....your right....hand. The result is text that's almost as annoying to read as WHEN PEOPLE TYPE IN ALL CAPS, or caN't geT oVEr the silly rock & roll album cover uP/DoWn caps thing.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Ohhh.... You have the direct personal attack going because you only shop "real" nurseries, Makes you so snobbish, eh? Wouldnt'be caught dead in a box store huh kanter? Weren't you the "hardware store" comment? Maybe theres too much stuff in them you dont understand, so you are afraid of them... Get off me dude, I just brought to light the way people are treated in "those" types of stores...Yea, someone made the comment of " I'm a nursery consultant because I took a 4 hr class at HD".. I had to say something because of it being 8 ,2 hr courses to get the certification (which, by the way is sanctioned by the AHS) Get over yourself man and get on with your life...... You're proving my point every time you post.......................................................................................................................

Reply to
KCnRichmond

Actually, nothing you've said is true, but I see that you ARE able to lose that typing affectation whenever you choose to. Thank you.

Reply to
Doug Kanter