Yuk! HOME DEPOT is awful these days

I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was the closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers except for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain in the @#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The lines are often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A couple of miles farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.

Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.

The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know the half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time getting rewarded with hugh bonuses.

How's HD in your area?

Reply to
jj

In the Dayton area the HD here was excellent when it first opened. They were far better than the Lowes across the street. A lot of people on the floor, people at registers, etc. As with your store, this changed and it almost seemed like over night there were less people on the floor and they went to the self check out with one register open at the contractor check out. Long lines like you have. I think they got some serious complaints because the last few trips I have made there they now have at least two other registers open with people checking out customers, in addition to the self check out. I actually like the self check but there are times when you need a real person to do the work.

Reply to
Geo

This rant will be a waste unless you send a copy to Home Deopt also.

Reply to
Leon

... snipped

Home Depot (new a few months ago) North of Houston, TX (Hwy 2978 @ Hwy

1488)

... very poor selection/stocking of items -- in last 5 times, had to go to Lowe's 4 times -- don't go to that HD now -- seldom go to any HD

... higher prices than Lowe's on items that were once significantly less expensive

... seems to be decrease in personnel (registers inadequately manned)

... now buying ALL medium/large ticket items via Internet - neither HD nor Lowe's competitive, even after paying shipping

... sold HD stock 3/06 -- don't own Lowe's, and NOT buying, either!

... things will level out eventually - free market enterprise in operation.

Tex

Reply to
Tex

I long since stopped using the Home Depots in my part of Georgia. Same reasons - less people, prices suck, inventory is really bad, and salespeople are more often than not clueless about their aisle.

What's behind their downfall is the original founders are long gone and the bean counters are in control and are setting the rules. We all know how companies do when the bean counters run them. Interestingly enough I scanned a report the other day off the net where a study was done on customer satisfaction for a couple of hundred stores. Surprise - Home Depot was next to last. Sorry, I don't remember who was last.

As someone has already said, the market place will take care of Home Depot. Their stock is dropping, their employees are quitting left and right. Eventually the stockholders will scream and boot the current management team out when they will figure out what Lowes figured out a couple years back - people will pay more for good service. Lowes is eating their lunch is pretty much every area they compete.

Reply to
Ed Walsh

Well, from the responses. It is not just my imagination or the local area stores but every where Home Depot has gone down hill. I too, to the tune of several thousand dollars a year (remodeling projects) was spent at Home Depot but have since been purchasing mostly from Lowes. Lowes here in the PNW have 4 times as many clerks about twice as many people on the floor as Home Depot. BTW, I did send corporate a letter. Usually, you get a letter back with some kind of response. Nada, from Home Depot. Maybe they are making money from contractors and do not care about the few measely thousands of dollars from John Q Public doing remodel jobs.

Reply to
jj

Kinda funny. HD started moving aggressively into our area (Eastern WA) at about the same time Lowe's took over Eagle. I had preferred Eagle, because the service was better, selection OK, though not as wide as HD, and the merchandise seemed better. Then Lowe's took over Eagle, and it went down the tubes. Now I prefer Lowe's over HD for all the reasons mentioned.

The last time I was in HD, an employee suggested I use the auto-checkout since there was no line. She smiled when I said I'd wait for a human to do my checkout, on GP.

Reply to
ibarakicho

Well, here in the midlands of SC we call them Hopeless Depot. They are pretty much my last resort if all else fails. Sort of the Wall-Mart-ization of the home center. A race to the bottom with understaffed clueless minimum wagers trying to kill time till the end of their shift.........sigh......... Scott.

Reply to
Scott McAuley

Reply to
J. Mohnike

I love those things.

Reply to
gesres

I'm also in eastern WA and yes, I miss Eagle. I'm sure you've heard that "LOWES" stands for "Less Of What Eagle Stocked" :-).

That said, they're a LOT better than HD.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The local Walmart usually has lower prices for paint, caulk etc. HD and their "We must be out of that" and the annoying "self-checkout" that wants you to bag a 10 ft stick of pipe have run me off- I usually drive 5 miles further to Lowes.

Reply to
Mr.E

Here in toledo, same thing. One checkout (no automated checkout) , IF you find a employee they just have a vague idea where anything is and walk away. Bought a small piece of red oak to make a feather board with. Cut it in half, turned out the damn thing was glued! Cut right thru the biscuits. They suck.

Reply to
Jimmy

When I become an employee, _then_ (and only then) I'll do the checkout...meanwhile, it's there job.

In general, however, I only patronize locations where I have open accounts...

Reply to
dpb

I for one like the automated deal since those can be easily told to speak english :)

Reply to
Eugene Nine

I pretty much have experienced the same. I did a trip all over the West last year. Stopped at few HDs to see if they had the same pathetic operations as the one at home. Yah, there are all bad. When HD first opened I liked them a lot better than Eagle or Lowes. But now it is completely turned around. I almost always shop any where but HD.

I would like to package up this thread and send it to Home Depot corp office and send along copies to some analysts on Wall Street. If anyone would like for me to leave off their post, just say so.

Reply to
whome

BTW - I have sent at least 4 complaints about poor service to HD corporate. I got back a form letter about how sorry they were and 4 gift cards in varying amounts up to $20. Don't know what pissed me off more, the measly attempt of appeasement with the gift cards or the form letters.

Reply to
Ed Walsh

Be my guest. Send mine to corporate -- I've already written them -- no response, told CS in store of problems -- Sorry, etc., emailed store mgr

- nothing's changed. I no longer go in a HD - will pay more at small hardware store down the road where people are friendly, know what they have or will get it for me and seem to appreciate my business.

I wish I could short stocks in my IRA -- about $6-8 would look like a good cover price.

Reply to
Tex

And you go to full-service gas stations too, right?

todd

Reply to
todd

"Ed Walsh" wrote in news:74256$44cff55b$4b75215f$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

The solution is to buy from somebody else. Anybody else, but preferably someone local, who knows your name when you come in. Even if you're 'just a homeowner'.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch