Home Depot politics

Maybe this is much too off topic, but a friend of mine who is much more of a political animal than I am told me HD is heavily supported by rich Republicans such as Arthur Blank, the president of Home Depot, who hosted a dinner in Atlanta that gave Bush $2.5 million. So any of you whose whole lives, including gardening, are permeated with their political convictions might want to go to Loew's, etc. if you need to buy at a big chain store. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

It is and it shouldn't be posted here. There are dozens and dozens of political groups. Post your views in one of them.

Reply to
Bill R

Yes, that is true of Blank. He indeed does fund raise and has contributed a lot of money to the GOP over the years.

escapee

No, post them here too. Nobody moderates this newsgroup.

escapee

I wouldn't doubt this. I saw an interview with him a few days ago. The guy came from the division of GE that made (bad) appliances and other hard goods. He didn't know a nut from a bolt. I wanted to throw a brick through the TV because everything that came out of his mouth sounded like the hypnotic jargon that you would hear from a sales seminar. I guess he never visits the stores, otherwise he might see that all the feel-good "team building" bull shit and new computer systems he promotes are worthless because the stores look like a tornado hit them and the employees know less about the products than he does. I seldom go to HD because I can get the same thing for a little less in a better organized and maintained Lowe's store across the street. I don't want to leave people with the impression that Lowe's doesn't have their own set of problems. They treated my mother very badly when she had them remodel her kitchen, but that is another story.

For people interested in tracking contributions to political campaigns, you might want to look at this site:

can enter a street or a zip code and see the contributions of the people around you. You can also enter names. If you click on the name, it will show the contributions of everyone with that name. If you click on the address, it will show people in that area. There is interesting mapping system that shows how red, blue, or purple an are is.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Even though it is true that nobody moderates this newsgroup all posters should stick to the topic of this newsgroup - GARDENS. If everyone starts posting ANYTHING they wish, soon there will be little or no discussion of gardens. Is that what you want? I have seen dozens of newsgroups destroyed because off topic posters took over the newsgroup. If we are not careful that could happen to rec.gardens

Reply to
Bill R

Based on third-hand information, we should boycott one store, but not the other? Are you saying the officers of Lowe's don't contribute to Republicans? Are you saying Lowe's officers contribute to Democrats? Do you have any real information, or are we going to go nuts based on a rumor?

Sheesh. If I didn't shop at any stores who's officers or executives gave to the Republicans, I wouldn't be able to shop at all.

There's a difference between political convictions and silliness.

BTW... Bill Gates is a Democrat. Does that mean Republicans with convictions don't use Microsoft products? Warren Buffet is a Democrat. Does that mean Republicans with convictions shouldn't patronize any companies who's boards he sits on? Silliness.

Reply to
Warren

You must have bad luck. I have been posting to Usenet for several years and haven't seen a single newsgroup that doesn't have a fair amount of OT posts. Likewise, I haven't seen any newsgroup that was destroyed by such posts. Most people are smart enough to avoid posts that don't appeal to them. With judicious use of filters and killfiles you don't even have to see the posts. I don't know why people would suddenly lose interest in gardening because someone posted a politically slanted article about a store with a garden center. That seems as puzzling as all the people who claim that everyone would lose interest in marriage if it were make available to same-sex couples.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I, personally, don't have the time nor inclination to delve into the political leanings of the owners of every chain or franchise that I might shop at. I also question posted opinions that tend to be one-sided. If one has that much time on their hands, their time would be better spent trying to make this country and planet a better place to live for all.

You may shop where you choose but don't try to tell me where I should shop. Free enterprise rules!!!

LFR

Here is a link to Lowe's officers and directors:

is a link to HD's officers and directors:
is a link to search for political contributions:
need to base decisions of rumor.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Are you saying those that support republicans are not permeated with political convictions, or that they don't garden? Or are you just saying that anyone you disagree with should be boycotted and run out of business?

Swyck

Reply to
Swyck

I wonder if Linda Ronstadt is a gardener?

Reply to
Vox Humana

An unmoderated news group should thus be moderated by the restraint of the posters. I have seen many newsgroups degenerate and become worhless due to off topic posting.

Dave

DavesVideo

Au contraire. Plenty of people moderate this newsgroup. ;) OK, plenty of people WANT to moderate this newsgroup. ;)

Reply to
The Watcher

(snip)

Is THAT what they're claiming? I've been trying to figure out what they're talking about when they say "same sex marriage would "destroy" traditional marriage", since the people who say that don't seem capable of explaining what that is supposed to mean. :/

Reply to
The Watcher

How very authoritarian of you.

Next you'll be telling people what they can grow in their gardens.

Oh wait, you already do that.

Hal

Reply to
hal

Maybe this is much too off topic, but a friend of mine who is much more of a political animal than I am told me HD is heavily supported by rich Republicans such as Arthur Blank, the president of Home Depot, who hosted a dinner in Atlanta that gave Bush $2.5 million. So any of you whose whole lives, including gardening, are permeated with their political convictions might want to go to Loew's, etc. if you need to buy at a big chain store.

____Reply Separator_____ Hey Zemedelec, to quote Terry Kerry, "Shove it!"

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

traditional

That's all I come away with. Rick Santorum keeps saying that some unspecified Scandinavian county adopted same-sex marriage and all the straight people stopped getting married. Of course there are no Scandinavian countries with same-sex marriage, only civil unions - an institution that even Rick Santorum says would be possible under the Federal Marriage Amendment. It reminds me of all the hysteria in the 1960's when civil rights laws precluded discrimination in housing and many people screamed that if you let blacks into your neighborhood it would be ruined. There are plenty of county clubs that are afraid to let women or Jews into the ranks for fear of ruination. I have never heard a rational argument to support any of these arguments.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Heh?

Being that politics is of the essence, Home Depot and Lowes are both engaged in the same politics that the tobacco industry are engaged in...

Both companies are selling red mulch chips that are considered toxic in other countries and are banned from being shipped to many other countries. This only seems to be happening in the State of Florida where Jeb Bush has verbally expressed distaste about the fact, he wasn't the Governor when it started happening, but he does little else to do anything about it and I suspect he is taking bribes from Home Depot and Lowes the Red (CCA) Mulch industry. Jeb Bush speaks loudly against it but he does nothing else about it accept perhaps accept bribes.

Furthermore, the state of Florida is using CCA in their State and City parks where kids play on the swings and rides.

Just what is CCA ? It's a treatment used on wood which preserves the wood. And after a certain period of time, the CCA starts to break down and toxic levels of Arsenic become present.

some may think this is off-topic, it's the soil that is being poisioned. So working in the garden may develop into tingling sensations in the fingers or feet.

While Arsenic is a natural substance found everywhere in nature, it is not good for anyone to put a poisonous amount of arsenic into the environment.

And while the arsenic poisoning didn't start while Jeb Bush was in office, because I've looked and looked and I really want to blame it on Jeb Bush, the only thing I could come up with is that Florida Governor Jeb Bush only states its a bad situation and does nothing else. It's like George Bush drinking and doing cocaine but never admiting to it. :-) It's like Laura Bush going to Chip-N-Dales dances but never admitting to it. They have things to hide so they refuse to talk.

As far as I know CCA is used in building houses and other things and it is used quite extensively. But it seems as if it the arsenic breaks out of it's containment when exposed to the sun ? And there's a lot of sun in Florida and folks all over the state are complaining about numbness in their hands and feet after using CCA treated wood mulch bought from Home Depot AND Lowes.

Some other names that CCA treated wood goes by include: pressurized wood treated wood pressure-treated wood

Home Depot has refused to stop the sales of this wood. That was in the public broadcasts of local Florida tv news recently.

Doing some further research, any CCA treated wood will start to release highly toxic arsine gas when exposed to moisture.

Furthermore there is some more information about it available, here, indicating that CCA wood is being used in parks in different states as well...

dangers are clearly present and the wood is banned by many countries and a growing number of countries.

The government is there to protect you, not poison you. Everyone needs to do something about this and prevent it from reoccuring. Contact your politicians, demonstrate outside of Home Depot and let them know that you want the right things done.

Reply to
Jim Carlock