Home Depot politics

BTW Gates and Microsoft gave to both parties

Shell

Reply to
Weeble

That's because there aren't any.

Hal

Reply to
hal

I think that rude posts and name calling are what disrupt newsgroups, not off-topic posts.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Thank you for this information. All the more reason for me to support Home Depot. Matt in MI

Reply to
Matt

They only become worthless if the off-topic posts are not easily identified, causing people who didn't care about them to waste time on them.

If a thread drifts off-topic, whether it be towards a political discussion or name calling, it ought to be re-named. That doesn't always happen. When on-topic threads constantly drift into off-topic areas with no change in the subject line, that's what ruins a newsgroup. For example, the discussions about gardening that turn into name-calling sessions with no new gardening content are more damaging to the usefulness of this newsgroup than this thread, which very obviously has "politics" in the subject line.

One can easily ignore well titled off-topic discussions even if they amount to 90% of the traffic in a newsgroup. But if the subject lines make it look like the discussion is on-topic, even though it's not, that can eventually make the group worthless. Well marked off-topic discussions only make the group worthless for people who have obsessive disorders that require them to read every message regardless of the subject line.

Reply to
Warren

I agree, and I think the original post was not only off-topic but rude, condescending, and disrupting.

Swyck

Reply to
Swyck

I hope it doesn't ruin the rest of your week.

Reply to
Vox Humana

In the eleven years I've posted to rec.gardens, that has never once happened. Newsgroups which were weak to begin with are more vulnerable. This newsgroup has many dedicated "regulars" who have been here for many years.

We have had off topic posts here since the beginning. This is the time in America where people are discussing the election, so I say it is perfectly okay to do that in an American newsgroup.

There are some here not in the U.S., but they are not that many.

escapee

happen. Not during its worst trolling stints.

escapee

There're just substandard gardeners relying on polluting solutions rather than gardening skill...

Reply to
remove munged

Thanks for that bit, Z. Here in Maine we are about to experience Lowes in competition with HD.

2 Lowes stores, one in Brunswick and one in Auburn.

The Auburn Store will be in quadrangle with HD, Super Wal-Mart, and BJ's Wholesale Club. Another Big Box property on the same "strip" is yet to be disclosed, was the former Wal-mart.

Simply put, I'm looking for the best deal on an Echo 210 Staight Shaft Trimmer and the brush blade that goes with. HD has the lowest price in Maine at the moment and I'm holding out at this point for end of season sales.

If I were purely politically oriented, I'd not buy from HD. But when MY budget is tested on a product or a project, I'll shop for best price ( period).

choice is wonderful.

sue western Maine

far away from anywhere.

Reply to
Sue

Be sure you are comparing apples to apples. Sometimes HD has products produced to cheaper specifications that are sold only in its stores. The Echo trimmer that you want may or may NOT be exactly the same at Lowe's, Wal-Mart, and Home Depot.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Almost anything sold by any of these crap-o-mats can be found to have a parallel product vastly better from Seers. I'm no huge fan of Seers, but I'm far less a fan of products that break easily or don't even work, which is what you get at (in order of crappiness) Home Depot & its ilk. And all too often, the illusion of having saved a dollar by paying $10 at Home Depot for what costs $11 at Seers, since the Lowes product breaks right away it's actually $10 too much, & since the Seers version lasts for years & years, it's the real bargain.

I've also gotten superior products at Ace Hardware & Fred Meyers, in some cases after having to return unutterable junky versions to Home Depot or Lowes. I have hardly ever set foot in WalMart, but the couple times I ever got anything there (a garden light comes to mind) it was broken in a trice, so WalMart slipped off my map entirely. I do still compare-shop at Home Depot & Lowes, but anything that has two or more moving parts to it is guaranteed not to work as well (if at all) as the equivalent from Seers. It's just the way it always works out.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

They all do the same thing. One of the biggest fish-heads they use to lure people into the store is "exclusively at such & such" or "only at HD".

It's a fact manufacturers will not sell to discount stores the exact same item the authorized dealers sell.

Same goes for their garden plants/shrubs, they sell the items wholesale nurseries can't sell to re-wholesalers. They are rejects or lesser quality than you purchase through a wholesaler or retailer. I know this because I work for the largest re-wholesaler in the nation.

Reply to
Herb

Shopping for the best price is a political choice, though that may not be readily apparent. There are lots of folks who'd rather you didn't, and lots of places where you can't.

Yes it is, isn't it?

Swyck

Reply to
Swyck

Actually it made my day.

Swyck

Reply to
Swyck

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I am probably more thrifty than most people. Still, I realize that the price on the shelf tag or sticker isn't the only consideration. Plants from a big box store aren't necessarily the bargain that they appear to be. Often they have wilted over and over again. Items may be dumbed down, look-alike products that are cheaper than what you might find for a little more elsewhere. Sometimes the help you get from knowledgeable sales people adds value to the product. From a political standpoint, you have to consider if the money you pay for an item will eventually be used against you or contrary to your values. Will you buy cheap now and then use tax dollars to clean up a toxic waste site left by that company. Will you buy cheap now and pay for the food stamps of the poorly paid employees? Will you buy cheap now because the store receives generous tax breaks when the established store in town goes broke and stops paying taxes. Will the store ship all the profits back to a distant headquarters, or worse, will it ship jobs overseas. Knowing that the top guy at HD earns $22 million dollars sort of disturbs me when I see people working in the stores who are obviously a paycheck away from being homeless. Knowing that a chunk of the money goes to a political movement that is unpinned by a philosophy of cheap labor also troubles me. Given that knowledge, I will shop elsewhere when I can. I'm not suggesting that anyone else should follow, nor am I ignoring the fact that people of other political conviction make purchase decisions using the same logic. The religious right has avoided Disney products for years. Others mount boycotts against media outlets like CBS. Political shopping isn't a practice owned by any particular group.

Reply to
Vox Humana

No, it's supported by its' customers, many of which are hard-working tradesman and building trades company owners, and stockholders, many of which are undoubtedly mutual funds, which, without doubt, many Liberals hold as part of their retirement plan.

So to say HD is supported by "rich Republicans" is pure bullshit.

Seems to me that you're making the (false) assumption that gardeners can't be conservative.

How very narrow-minded and bigoted of you. Just like a Liberal.

Reply to
Mark

That's a peculiar conclusion. It seems like an advisory statement to me. "This is what I heard. If it bothers you then consider shopping elsewhere" It didn't preclude the possibility that someone would be conservative.

Pot, Kettle, Black.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Now there's an oxymoronic statement for you!!

Personally, I don't see how anyone could object to this thread. OT or not, it's the best entertainment I've had in weeks! Didja ever notice how at the firt sign of a political statement or difference of opinion, folks seem to lose all ability at rational thought? But then politics tends to bring out the idiot in us all. How else can we explain away the last 4 years?

Reply to
Pam - gardengal