Workshop ceiling thoughts

I'm finally ready to consider the inside finishing of my new 24x30 dedicated workshop. For any semblance of heat in the NC winter, I need to put some kind of ceiling up to keep the heat from scrambling out of the ridge vents up top. My initial thought is to use 1/4" luan plywood, stapled to the trusses' lower chords. I also thought about drywall. Any good ideas, pros or cons, thoughts or rants? Thanks.

Reply to
Jim Murphy

I would probably either just use rockwool, or put up cheap plywood, then rockwool, to help absorb the noise from the shop. A hard surface will make your shop like the inside of a drum DAMHIKT

Reply to
Andrew Williams

I don't know anything about carpentry, but that doesn't stop me from giving an opinion... Cheap paneling is probably the most inexpensive material. I have never seen it used on a ceiling, so there is probably a good reason not to.

Reply to
Toller

Reply to
kkfitzge
3/8" rough sawn plywood, also called roughtex. Most any decent lumber company will carry it.

Rent a panel lifter and if you d> I'm finally ready to consider the inside finishing of my new 24x30 dedicated

Reply to
Pat Barber

Sheetrock "may" be needed to meet fire code. I'd check with your insurance agent before trying luan. I'd also add 6" or more of insulation. I'm planning on 8-12" here in SC. Once I clear enough floorspace for scaffolding or ladders to work on the 12' ceilings, the ones that already have lights and power outlets:-( Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

What, no tongue and groove bead board? Come on, you're a woodworker... ;-)

I'd use 1/4 luan, but I'd nail or screw it. I wouldn't trust staples up over my head.

Also, make sure you mark where those trusses are before you cover them

- it's quite handy to be able to screw in a hanger or something to the ceiling. Or your DC pipe. Or lights.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I would recommend the sheet rock and insulation.

  1. Its not expesive
  2. It's fire resistant
  3. If you do puncture it its a easy fix as well.
  4. I have been told its fire code around here.

Al

opinions are like A@#wholes everyone has one! :)

Reply to
Al

Is it just me, or does this topic come up every few weeks? :)

Reply to
Locutus

And everyone else's stink...

Reply to
Clint

I definitely agree with this. I worked in a shop where they enclosed the finishing loft to contain fumes. They used 1/4" luan and the noise resonating around the shop was wicked.

Reply to
drifwood

I like the drywall idea. Easy to paint, cheap, keeps clean and non-flammable.

Reply to
Phisherman

I used drywall after insulating. The first winter it was unfinished. No way to warm it up. After insulating and doing the drywall I can usually get by with turning the heat on for about a half hour or so then turning it off and I'm OK for most of the day. Exceptions for the coldest days. North Mississippi.

Drywall finishes smooth so dust doesn't cling excessively. I painted mine white and the floor light seemed to really increase with the same fixtures as compared to when it was unfinished.

Only downside in my view is having to float the drywall. I can do it but hate it.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I used foil faced foam board. It was easy for one man and a 'deadman' to handle. I also insulated between the rafters but I don't know if you want to go to much extent. I have seldom regretted doing too good of a job.

Reply to
C & E

No question in my mind either, sheet rock, period! A buddy on mine cheeped out and used 1/4" luan plywood on his ceiling. A year later he screwed sheet rock up after tearing the warped plywood out. This is one job you want to do once, do it right! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Got rafters or studs?

I put 16" wide pieces of 1 1/2" rigid foam between the studs and then used drywall screws to cover it with (very cheap) white sort-of-wood paneling...

It made a nice quiet place out of a very loud room and keeps the heat out a bit in summer.. Mac

mac davis

It's only required for fire code if there is living space on the other side. Since he said ridge vents, I don't think that's the case.

Reply to
James E. Cannon

I used 3/8" beadboard. Painted it white. No regrets.

Reply to
Brandon

Exactly... Here in CA you see houses with only the walls connected to the house being sheet rocked..

Mac

mac davis

In a recent magazine article, I saw an idea for cutting the drywall in strips and laying them between the ceiling joists, suspended by cleats or battens fastened to the lower edge of the joists. It didn't mention how to treat the short drywall joints at the ends of the strips, but some cross blocking with similar cleats/battens should do it. No taping or joint compound required; provides utilities access advantage of a drop ceiling but no headspace is lost; fluorescent lighting fixtures can be installed between joists in place of some of the drywall strips; drywall strips can easily be replaced if damaged; much cheaper than a suspended ceiling; arguably easier to install than full 4'x8' drywall sheets; bottom of joists remain exposed to hang things from (however, respect their structural integrity and load capacity); drywall, cleats/battens and bottom of joists can be painted for light reflectivity before or after installation. Sounded like a win-win to me. Note that where ceiling drywall is required by code, this approach may not be acceptable.

David Merrill

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
David Merrill