Installing 10' ceiling . . ..

Need some suggestions . . . Shop size 20' X 22' with 10' ceiling height. Need suggestions how to get 1/2" Luan up there by myself . . .

All my walls are 1/2" Luan . . Attached with 1-1/4" McFeely square drive screws . . . Plan to use 2" on the ceiling . . .

Getting help or hiring help is not an option . . . Everyone in this area that can swing a hammer is working on new construction or rebuilding New Orleans . . .

Thanks in advance, Steve

Reply to
Steve DeMars

Rent a drywall lift .. .. ..

Reply to
Anonymous

You don't have any friends?

Reply to
Locutus

Rent a drywall lift. Or, use 1 8' stepladder and 1 10' "dead man"

Reply to
gw

Rent a drywall panel lift. Probably about $50 for the day, and you should be able to do the ceiling in a couple of hours.

RicodJour

There is probably a good chance he wont find any of those around either.

Reply to
Locutus

Reply to
Steve DeMars

How much skill do you need to stand on a ladder and hold something up? :)

How 'bout the wife??

Reply to
Locutus

One other consideration, you will be working in a fire box.

Reply to
Locutus

Located the Panel Lifts at a local rental store . . . $32.50 per day . . . tha is cheap help . . . and probably won't complain or whine . . .

Thanks . . . I had heard of them but never have seen or used one . . .

Thanks again . . . Steve

Reply to
Steve DeMars

So how do I climb and stand on a ladder and screw a full sheet of plywood to a 10' foot ceiling? You must have never done this yourself.

Reply to
Steve DeMars

You are an idiot . . . If you beleive that shit that drywall doesn't burn . . come work with me a few days . . I'm an insurance adjuster . . . Dry wall only slows the spread . . . from room to room . . .

Reply to
Steve DeMars

My brother and I just installed Drywall in a house with 10' ceilings that we are rehabbing. We did not use a jack (we are cheap bastards).

It's not too difficult, put a drill on your belt, each person holds an end, climb the step ladder in unison, place the material, hold it in place with your forearm/shoulder, and put a few screws in it. Luan is significantly lighter than 1/2" drywall.

I admit, the wife probably wouldn't be much use. :)

The bigger question is, why are you being such an ass?

Reply to
Locutus

WTF is your problem????

Reply to
Locutus

The big issue is why after reading my post . . . that clearly ask for SUGGESTIONS and clearly states NO friends or hire available . . . And your smartass answer is "don't you have any friends" Do you just assume only you are smart enough to ask a friend . . . Your next comment re: drywall lift was " he probably won't be able to find that either" That my feeble minded friend makes you the ASS ! ! !

If you have nothing to contribute but smart ass condescending remarks, that is what you will get back . .

Reply to
Steve DeMars

I did a 14 by 18 drywall ceiling by myself using a 2x4 sling six feet from the wall. Use long 5 inch screws and suspend a 2x4 under the ceiling joist about 2 inches. Leaving more than 4 feet between screws. Use another 2x4 to travel from the sling to the wall in the middle of the drywall sheet. Standing on a sturdy workbench lift the drywall and slide it above the 2x4 sling along the 2x4 and hopefully into the space above the drywall on the wall. This takes planning but it is doable. I installed 3 8 foot and 3 ten foot 1/2 inch sheets of drywall this way, single handed in a shop full of tools and lumber.

Reply to
jimmy

Thats creative . . . Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve DeMars

You need help my friend, and not with hanging plywood. I was simply conversing.

Since you said you were near where Katrina construction, I am suprised that there are jacks to be had. It was an off the cuff comment, you must be having a bad day.

I hope you feel better now.

Reply to
Locutus

Dead men actually about 10' 1" tall and a scaffold (milk crates and

2x10s work great but you might need something abit taller).

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Forget the ladder. A strong workbench is better. Or use a single 10' scaffolding walkway resting on two benches. You want to be about 3 feet off the floor.

Reply to
jimmy