Advice - removing ceiling rose to fit new light fitting

Hi, can anybody help? I've recently purchased new ceiling lights from Ikea but to fix them I will need to remove the current ceiling rose. Here lies my problem: I live in a flat and access is therefore very limited. Fortunately I can attach the new light fitting using the existing rose housing however wiring is my problem. There is a 5" by 2.5" diameter tubliar void above the current rose.

The terminal point in the new fitting has two nodes for Live and two for Neutral and no earth point.

The current rose is configured with 3 nodes for Neutral (2 Black wires from ceiling and 1 Blue to current light fitting), 3 nodes for Live (3 Red wires from ceiling) and 2 nodes for loop (1 Red from ceiling and 1 Brown to current light fitting).

Do I need a junction box installing and if so will it fit into the existing cavity and can it rest above the new light fitting? Or can I use a small wire extention fitting and insulation tape for the 3 Red Live wires and rest it above the new light fitting?

I wish to maintain safety and regulations but dont want to have to remove sections of ceiling to purely fit new light fittings!

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Jim.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Sleepyman

Sounds like a tall BESA box.

If that is a BESA box, it is quite normal to use chocolate block connectors in it.

Either put two chocolate block connectors in the BESA box to make the earth and live connections which the fitting doesn't need, or put four chocolate block connectors in the BESA box to remake all the original connections, and bring two extra wires from the connections into the fitting carrying the switched live and the neutral.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel