New Light Fitting - Different

Hi all. Thanks again for your advice last week which was a breeze to follow and the light was up in very short time (by my standards)

I am fitting a new one this weekend...this one provides a 6 terminal block as below. The new fitting is a 6 halogen bulbs on a flexible bar affair.

The instructions supplied have a diagram.. New Fitting Ceiling side

--------------------- ----------------------------------- Neutral (blue) 1 2 Neutral Earth 3 4 Earth Live (brown) 5 6 Switched Live (red/brown)

There is no mention of the unswitched loop. I had the thought of just removing the cover from the celing rose and shortening the existing cable hanging from rose but there probably isn't an earth. There is also something weird in the new fitting. The 2 clusters of 6 cables are mounted together but have another cable emerging in the opposite direction from where both clusters of 6 are merged. These trailing cables have bare ends as though it has come loose from a seventh bulb on the bar or something but there is no obvious place they should be connected to.

I hope this is understandable.

Thanks for any advice.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

I suppose i can use (4x2) length of my own block then no problem there I think. I can use the same set up some of you gents advised me on last week.

But i am still left with the weird trailing wires.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

can you do us a photo to be on the safe side?

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi John. Sorry for the delay in putting up a picture

a while the penny dropped for me and I twigged the loose wires are the ones to go in the connector block. I initially assumed the plastic covered ends were to go in the connector block.

Thanks. Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

Ah, sounds like you have sussed it, but just in case:

The plastic widgets are those horrid American style "wire nuts" - basically a way of joining wires just a little less crudely than twisting them together. There is presumably one wire running to each bulb holder on the fitting, and these are being used to common them together and present a single wire for you to connect to the house wiring.

The wording of the instructions for the fitting is assuming a non uk style of wiring for the house as well (where the wires present will only be neutral, switched live and earth) by the sounds of it.

Assuming you have a traditional "loop in" system, you will see two or three cables present at the lighting position. One bringing power in (from the previous light in the circuit), one taking it out to the next (assuming this is not the last one), and one to the switch.

You need 4 terminals to make this work. One to common the neutral in, out, and the neutral on the fitting. Another for all the earths, another to common the live in, live out to the next lamp, and one of the wires to the switch, and finally one to connect the other wire returning from the switch to the live on the fitting. Note that both wires to and from the switch are live, and hence should be marked as such with sleeving or insulating tape of the correct colour.

Reply to
John Rumm

they are crimps not those twist on nuts There is presumably one wire running to each

Reply to
Kevin