earth on a light fitting

I have bought a new light fitting to go onto the ceiling. I am replacing a standard ceiling fitting. On this fitting there is an earth wire from the supply attached to the light fitting connection. On the new light fitting instructions it says "This product is double insulated & must not be earthed. If there are any incoming earth cables they must be connected together and well insulated " So what do I have to do with my single earth wire coming through alongside the live feed?

Reply to
tomm

Stick it in a "chocolate block". So when the fitting is later changed for an earthed one, the earth connection is still available..

Reply to
Palindrome

Do I need to insulate all the visible earth wire as well? Is it dangerous to leave the bare earth wire inside the new fitting?

Reply to
tomm

Just sleeve it as normal. The choc block aimply replaces the connection that would have been present with an earthed fitting.

Reply to
Palindrome

Wiring regulations now require that the earth wire (CPC) is sleeved with green/yellow sleeving - so yes, sleeve it.

Reply to
tinnews