Air Conditioning in Conservatory

Have a conservatory approx 4m x 3m and am dreading the heat it will generate this coming summer. I'm considering installing air conditioning but wonder what is the best option both on price and running costs and where I may get it. Also any alternatives to air conditioning.

Any constructive suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated - leaving the windows and doors open or using a cooling fan just doesnt work.

Many thanks

Alan

Reply to
ALAN

There is no air conditioning that isn't noisy.

Reply to
Stickems.

First, use blinds that reflect the energy back out. Or at least absorbs the energy (which will stay near the roof) rather than passes it through to heat the interior.

Second, fans that extract the hot air and don't just stir it around *do* work. It does need to vent to the exterior. It obviously helps if the conservatory has a wall as piercing double glazing has its problems.

If leaving the doors and windows open doesn't work - you don't have enough doors and (opening)windows...

My parents have a 5 x 4 conservatory and a 12k BTU portable air con, with a hose through a vent in the wall. It didn't cope on several days last year without blinds. After fitting proper roof blinds, it more than coped. The portable air con is ridiculously noisy - in retrospect, I would have gone for one of the "self-install" two part units. Much, much quieter and also would have heated the place in the winter, plus only needed small holes rather than a 5+ inch one. I would suggest getting the biggest unit that the budget will run to..

Reply to
Palindrome

Where on earth did you that tosh from?

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.bartlett

Air has a low Specific heat capacity of around 1 joule per degree Kelvin per kilogram. Or (very roughly) 1 joule per degree C per cubic metre. So removing significant amounts of heat energy by using air is bound to involve substantial air flow. Forced generation of airflow using aerofoils (fan blades) inevitably involves pressure discontinuities and such discontinuites propogate transverse pressure waves at audible frequencies(and others). These pressure waves impact on audio receptors and are perceived as noise.

Thus, there is no air conditioning that isn't noisy. That is, of course, defining "air conditioning" as plant designed to remove heat by using forced air as the transfer fluid..

The equipment may be remote from the space being cooled but will still produce noise.

Reply to
Palindrome

Thank you, just as I said, only better put so that the more ignorant amongst us will now see (and hear) that air conditioning is always noisy.

| >>There is no air conditioning that isn't noisy. | >>

| > Where on earth did you that tosh from? | >

| Air has a low Specific heat capacity of around 1 joule per degree Kelvin | per kilogram. Or (very roughly) 1 joule per degree C per cubic metre. So | removing significant amounts of heat energy by using air is bound to | involve substantial air flow. Forced generation of airflow using | aerofoils (fan blades) inevitably involves pressure discontinuities and | such discontinuites propogate transverse pressure waves at audible | frequencies(and others). These pressure waves impact on audio receptors | and are perceived as noise. | | Thus, there is no air conditioning that isn't noisy. That is, of course, | defining "air conditioning" as plant designed to remove heat by using | forced air as the transfer fluid.. | | The equipment may be remote from the space being cooled but will still | produce noise. | | -- | Sue | | | | | | | | | | |

Reply to
Stickems.

A quiet bedroom has a db rating of 35 whilst a 'decent' air conditioning unit has a rating of 21 db

Therefore when moving it produces 'noise' -in the same way as say an ant walking along a pathway one would presume- it is not nor could be considered within it's expected operating environment 'noisy'...

Thus your explanation lacks context and hence would be marked down accordingly as "must try harder."

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.bartlett

I assume that mean dB?

Care to post some links to those with this sort of rating? A quick google search gave me, 55dB, 49.5dB, 42dB, 52dB, 59dB as being more typical.

Reply to
Palindrome

Wow, how anal can you get???

That's because you're not quite as smart as you'd possibly like to believe......

Here's one quickly from a 'decent' manufacturer-

Sound Level Cooling Sound Power High dBA 56.0 Sound Pressure High dBA 38.0 Medium dBA 32.0 Low dBA 25.0 Silent Operation dBA 22.0

Now get back in the kitchen where you belong...

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.bartlett

And the heat transfer rating at anything other than "High" is? The "decent" one that I looked at reduced from 10000BTU on "high" to 520 BTU on "silent".

So there we have it. The air con is a lot quieter if, yes, it isn't actually doing any significant work..

Reply to
Palindrome

Yes but 21dB when not doing anything very much useful. Besides even on

21 dB it would increase the noise level in a bedroom to 56db, decibels adding up as I'm sure you are aware.
Reply to
malc

"Thus, there is no air conditioning that isn't noisy. That is, of course, defining "air conditioning" as plant designed to remove heat by using forced air as the transfer fluid.."

I simply used your definition of 'air conditioning' and found you were obviously wrong. So whilst you may now try to move the goal posts sadly you were wrong and been proved wrong.

In the real world 'decent' air conditioners will give more than adequate duty whilst offering a near silent operation. There are two ways of operating these systems.

1) Run on high or medium for about 1 hour before retiring THEN dropping down to 'silent' mode 2) Leave continuously on low or 'silent' mode during the hot spell.

The duty naturally drops during the night anyway so the performance drop off matches demand. Most people only need a few degrees off + the drop in humidity to get a satisfactory nights slumber..

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.bartlett

By your words above, you have merely proved the point that aircon is indeed noisy. If it wasn't noisy, there would be no need to adopt either of your strategies above - both intended to reduce the noise when the room is occupied (at the expense of increased running costs including cooling an unoccupied room).

The goal posts haven't been moved by me. The answer to "is aircon still noisy when there is no one there to hear it?" is, yes, it is.

"There isn't any aircon that isn't noisy" is perfectly true. Even the "decent" one you suggested puts out 50+ dB when on full. Which is "noisy" in most people's books.

Reply to
Palindrome

I disagree on both counts. Noise is not a simple matter of adding up the ratings to get a total. There are many factors involved and there may well be some destructive interference to counter the overall effect.

The other point has been covered.

Either way real world tests have shown on many many occasions that 'decent' air conditioning gives better control in a bedroom situation of both temperature and noise sufficient to give more than satisfactory operation than the DIY sheds could ever dream of...

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.bartlett

What's the cooling capacity by 22dBa ???? one quarter ?

I wonder who belongs in the kitchen, there is hardly any fan who can deliver air with that noise rating...

Theo

Reply to
Theo van Riet

Nothing wrong with being in the kitchen.

It would be heck of a lot quieter there, than the bedroom with the aircon working, for a start. And a lot cooler, if it wasn't..

Reply to
Palindrome

One per unit is suffice-how many do you want?

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.bartlett

I need 600 in a project, but will require proven and thrustworthy caracteristics before ordering.

Theo

Reply to
Theo van Riet

All tested and approved to Eurovent standards

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.bartlett