Our indoor airconditioning/heating unit is leaking water onto our indoor
floors. We are still using air conditioning here and when the unit comes
on, water drips from the unit. The unit is a Rheem and is only one year
old. It is still cooling fine. any help would be appreciated/
it has a drip pan under it with a drain pipe draining somewhere, outside
It is clogged or not draining like it should be for some reason.
I just went through that - grows a jelly like fungus that fills cracks and
crevices and clogged the drain - I cleaned the pan out & then flushed the
coils and drain line out with garden hose to get all the gunk out of it.
Hardware store has little anti gunk pills to toss in the pan every month
that they swear work well and costs around 10 - 15 cents per pill.
I went up in the attic a couple months back during heavy AC usage, To my
shock there was water in the lower drain pan!
I had though the AC coil drain was clogged, took the side panel off and
found that the AC coil pan had completely rusted out!
The unit was installed in 87. Why would aluminum not be used instead of
stell to minimise rusting ?
Anyway I am planning on upgrading next year to a bigger unit as soon as
addtitions are completed, need to replace some duct work also.
However was not ready to have all this done just yet. Called around and
everyone said they would replace the AC box/coil unit, recharge etc.
After carefully inspecting the furnace for any major rusting, holes, etc,
test fired the unit and determined that all was OK.
I was not willing to fork out dough on somehting that I am planning on
replacing later anyway. So after much lokking over, I figured I had enough
space and bends in the lines to remove the A-Coil from the box from the side
carefully and suspending the unit with wire from the rafters. I then removed
the pan from the a-coil. when picked up some scrap galvanised sheet metal (I
would have used aluminum if I had it, but figured just needed to get by
until next year). Took all mesurements and went to cutting, bending and
forming a new pan, braze welded all seams prone to leaking and welded a new
drain pipe on. even painted with high heat paint. looked really good and
actually fit perfect when installed onto the a-coils. carefully installed
back into box.
All working just fine now, saved a lot of dough, whew! Put new batteries in
the CO detector.
Hopefully it will last a little longer.
Getting quotes tomorrow just in case !
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.