Air bleeder thingy leaks

The automatic air bleeder in my hot water heat system leaks. I have to screw the little cap down to stop the leak, but then I lose my air bleeder function. WHere do I buy a new one? WHat is the thing called?

Reply to
JMagerl

Its a saftey pressure release, dont block the blow off or operation or it could BLOW. Did you try turning down the temp, You only need the amount of hot water to take a shower without adding cold. It will save you alot. Also its summer, your house and incomming water are warmer .

Reply to
m Ransley

It's called "YOU NEED TO HIRE A PLUMBER".

Reply to
spamfree

Are you referring to a small brass cylinder about 3-inches long and 1-inch in diameter that has what appears to be a tire stem valve on top with a screw-on cap? If so, if you go to the counter at a heating/plumbing supply firm and ask for an "automatic bleed valve" they will undoubtedly know what you want -- just describe it and tell them it is for a hot water rather than a steam system they will know what it is. I always found that mine started to leak eventually because of mineral buildup on the internals surfaces but found that leaving the cap screwed down except when I heard bubbles in the system was ok. When I suspected air in the system I'd just unscrew the cap and let it vent and then screw it back down until the next time.

Reply to
John McGaw

Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post so I've taken some pictures (One reply did get it right though). Visit link

. One picture is of the complete assembly, the other picture is of the cap and porous rubber insert. It is my opinion that the rubber insert has gone bad. My question is where do I get a new one? I was hoping someone could point me to an internet source. Too make things worse, I have two of these in my system (both leak) and the rubber washer in one is mounted backwards to the other so I don't even know the correct way to insert it.

Reply to
JMagerl

It looks like your bleed valves are slightly different than what I had but probably operate on the same principle - a float that falls when there is air present and floats in liquid to block the opening. My system had at least five of them in various locations, mostly upstairs although there was one down near the boiler. In any case, take a look at:

and see if anything looks familiar. You are going to need to know how big the threaded nipple on the bottom is but beyond that you should be home free.

Reply to
John McGaw

Is it on the radiator, or on top of the boiler?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Radiators are the domain of heating guys.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's called an air eliminator. Spirovent makes a really great one, I've heard much better than the competition.

Most HVAC guys have them on hand, or can get one from the parts house.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

there is one on the boiler and 1 on the return pipe whats the life on one of these things? the house was built in 67 but I have no idea when they started leaking.

Reply to
JMagerl

Something else is whacky. You shouldn't have to tighten the bleeder valves. They have a little piece of cardboard in them that swells up when it gets wet, closing the vent. Thus, they are automatic. But if you have been tightening them, you might have permanently compressed the cardboard and broken them.

Or, maybe the pressure is too low in your system and the water level is too low and the air is not being pushed out.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

I really don't know. Probaly depends a lot on if you have well water, and if anyone drains the system ever. And if it's steel or copper pipes for the water.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've seen fill valves go bad....

Does the system bang and clank when the pump is running?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nope. I just have to flush the air out every year. Its a combination of iron and copper pipes. Original construction (1967) is iron but the new construction (1987) is copper.

Right now I put a bucket under the air vent and released the little cap to see if it will de air itself. It's been 2 days now and it still sounds gurgly. Guess I have to go thru the flush routine again.

New vents are on the list to buy.

Reply to
JMagerl

The picture you showed is very similar to mine. I installed the air scoop, as well as the auto-bleeder. But it seems like I installed my Expansion tank in the other hole on the air scoop.

On the bottom of the air scoop is the expansion tank and the bleeder is on the top. I'm not standing in front of it, but I think that's the way it is. Works very good for me. I used to have one heck of a time bleeding all the air out of my system, but with this setup, it's done automatically...though it sometimes takes a week or two. My pipes have never been quieter.

I'd replace the bleeder altogether, with one similar to what is described here. They get full of mineral deposits pretty easy.

Reply to
Amuzed2death