Ideas for hiding air conditioning unit?

I've decided to landscape the backside of my house and am trying to decide how I could hide the air conditioning unit effectively. Our a/c repairman has told us that the unit needs lots of air flow all around it, so I'm wondering if there is a way to hide it a bit without blocking the air too much.

My husband suggested an oversized lattice type box structure (leaving the back space between the unit and the house open) which would allow air through the holes in the lattice. I'm not sure if that would work. I had thought about putting a 4 foot picket fence around it. I'm mostly concerned with the view from the back yard, so the top of the unit doesn't have to be covered, although it would be nice.

For those of you who have disguised or hidden your a/c units, how did you do it?

Reply to
Ima Googler

I used two sets of "GEO LP Universal Privacy Screen, Item #: 133674, Model: 13367 $69.98" from Lowes .com

to hide two air conditioner units, side by side. If you have one air conditioner unit, then one set may suit your purposes.

I consulted a paint retailer, who recommended painting the screen with

100% acrylic primer and then 100% acrylic latex paint, which I did. The paint is custom colored to match the house. The screen looks great, it blends in well with the house, and it provides for plenty of air flow around the air conditioner units. The screen is taller than the units.

Several neighbors have complimented the screen, without prompting. :)

Good luck with your project.

Reply to
MikeVA