Recharging Payne Air Conditioning Unit

Hello, My home has a Payne 018-060-PA10 air conditioner unit, which does not keep my house very cool. It is big enough for the house. The problem is that the air which comes out of the vents is just not very cold. I have been told that my system may need a recharge. I have already checked and changed the air filter on the blower. The unit is only 2 or 3 years old, and I've hardly used it, so I am assuming that it needs a charge. So, here's the deal. I want to recharge it myself. I don't know anything specifically about air conditioners, but I am an engineer and I have lots of tools and instruments. Can someone please explain to me a general synopsis of what I need to know in order to recharge my AC.

thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andrew

The first thing you need to know is that you'll need to get a license to buy the refrigerant... Blame it on the enviro-nuts and their bogus claims of Freon (tm) doom and gloom...

Reply to
Pete C.

So here's the deal. You can't. Unless you have a license, you can't buy the refrigerant. You also need a couple of hundred bucks in equipment to do the charge. There are gauges specific to refrigeration and charging.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Oh great, I'm an engineer so that qualifies me to do just about anything.

First, do you have the required EPA certification?

Second, do you know how your coil is metered?

Third, Do you know what Superheat and Sub-cooling are for?

Hire a professional and let them do their job as you do yours.

Reply to
<kjpro

First, I would not just re-charging as a just incase thing. Find out what the problem really is and address that problem. If it turns out to be low charge, then hire someone who is trained and licensed to do that work, has the tools to do it right and has the ability to buy the proper materials.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sorry buddy but get a tech out there to figure out what&#39;s wrong. Or take a

1 year course in HVAC and fix it yourself next summer. Anyone who offers you advice on how to "recharge" your own a/c is a fool.
Reply to
Meat Plow

Added to what the others have said is that if the problem actually turns out that the system may "need a recharge", then as an engineer you should stop and think about WHERE the refrigerant has gone....It&#39;s left through something which should be impervious to gas leakage, but has gone bad.

So, you have to find and fix the leak first, &#39;eh?

Get a pro in, and if he says he has to do is recharge it, then ask him where the refrigerant went and make him find and fix the leak before you say, "Yes."

Just my .02,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Dear Andrew, I&#39;ve been having stomach pains. I&#39;ve got a stomach which is big enough for me. But it isn&#39;t working very well. Someone told me I may have a "hot appendix". I don&#39;t feel like going to a doctor, so please write me directions for cooling my own appendix.

More to the point. You don&#39;t have a real diagnosis, you&#39;ve got a SWAG. If you really feel like you want to proceed with your SWAG, write me back (on this list) and I&#39;ll walk you through an evacuation and recharge procedure for a typical home central AC system.

But, I&#39;d suggest you call a local service company and tell them your AC isn&#39;t cooling very well. Let the tech figure out the problem. Yeah, a lot of guys don&#39;t know much, but you may get a good tech.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Speaking about yourself again... he sure as hell don&#39;t want you at his home!!!!

Reply to
<kjpro