Air conditioning

We need to cool this place, not just for comfort but our processes don't work in this heat.

I could do with something quick and easy and this appears to fit the bill,

The spec would suggest that it will be as effective as a similarly priced split unit, anyone any experience of such a things?

Ta

Reply to
R D S

Monobloc units are almost completely useless. We have one similar in price and capacity to the one in your link.

The problem is that they suck in an amount of air, chill half of it and pump it back into the room and heat the other half and pump it down the "elephant trunk" outside. In doing this, they reduce the air pressure in the room, and hot air then leaks in to replace it. Ours, despite being theoretically specced for it, has never managed to reduce the temperature in our bedroom by 10 deg C. It just runs continuously, fills its condensate tank, then stops at 3AM. They're also very noisy.

If we were intending to stay in this house, I'd fit a split unit.

Reply to
Huge

It's an air conditioner ie cooling only, not a heat pump. Yes it's equivalent to a split unit for cooling and very easy to install. Poor value for money compared to a split unit which will also heat.

Reply to
Capitol

Capitol

I've no experience of this model, but it claims to extract 4.1 kW of heat and to use 1.5 kW of electricity to do it. This means that it needs somehow to get rid of 5.6 kW to the outside world. From the spec, it appears to have a 1.5M x 150mm dia. exhaust duct - so you'll need a 6" hole on the wall for this (or take it through a window - which will be pretty difficult to seal and prevent more hot air coming in from outside).

I'm sure it does what it says on the tin - but you can't just stand it in the middle of the room - with no external connections - and leave it to get on with it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Looks like a better option, cheers.

Reply to
R D S

I've a set of core drills and conveniently there is a bit of wall which used to be a door and is only single brick.

Reply to
R D S

20 years or so ago I had an office on the attic floor of an building so there was no insulation above me. The temperature one summer was regularly well over 30C. When (as often) I had to work late it was 31C at 22:00 one evening so I agitated for air conditioning. Summat like what you show was allowed as it did not involve alteration to the building and was invisible from outside as the outlet was behind a parapet. The outlet was dead easy as there were sash windows so the tube was passed through a 12" plank on which the sash was lowered. Made an enormous difference to perceived comfort - but that may have been helped by air being sucked up from lower, cooler floors.

Hire to test cost-effective?

Reply to
Robin

If you can fit a split unit, fit one, they are far better than these are, as the ones are continually throwing air from inside your building, outside via the duct, and that means warm air from outside needs to come in to replace it.

You can get split portable units, which are much better in my experience.

You can buy "DIY" install proper split units, with quick connectors too.

Reply to
Toby

Yes. I've never come across one - regardless of physical size - that works as well as a split unit type. May seem like a good idea - but they need to be able to exhaust their hot air elsewhere, without drawing in hot air from the rest of the building. Which if you think of it is difficult. They can help cool an individual etc sitting at a desk - but fairly useless for cooling a whole area.

A split unit simply cools the air in the room - like a fan heater in reverse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you're going to the bother of making special holes etc, a split unit becomes even more attractive. The 'beauty' - if there is one - of the type you've mentioned is it is transportable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a similar unit that I used in my last house, where it was impossible to keep my office habitable without it during the summer. They work to an extent - they will cool the room and more importantly control the humidity. They are not as effective as a similar powered split unit due to the way they throw air from the room out. You can get some that can have two hoses (or modify some designed for one), so that you can draw the cooling air from outside. They are also big and noisy compared to a split unit.

Reply to
John Rumm

OK for emergencies, e.g. I had one for my sick and elderly mother when there was no chance of her accepting a proper unit, but they are bloody noisy.

Reply to
newshound

Best portable unit:

- Split Hose Unit - not quite as efficient as a proper installed split syst em.

Usable portable unit:

- Dual air circuit - room air in/out, twin 150mm ducts to wall for air IN t o cool the unit and air OUT exhausting heat (preferably foil insulated too) .

These are rare - sometimes portable, more often wall mounted "under window" favoured by small bank branches & accountants offices, and such like.

Useless portable unit:

- Room air exhausted down single 150mm duct, 26-30oC outdoor air pulled int o room to replace it continually undermining its efforts.

- The exhaust blowers are typically 550-900m3/hr centrifugal blowers which means a vast amount of hot outdoor air pulled in, restrict that air and the unit efficiency falls (catch-22).

If you want to use just fans, you need 12" - eg, AirVent AV12s which are 15

00m3/hr and at least 2 of them. Does very little during very hot days, but the minute they can draw some cool air in from somewhere temps will drop ra pidly and take away the heat-soak effect overnight. Basically like USA Whol e House Fans.
Reply to
js.b1

Looking at the prices a) hire b) get someone to install a Daikin / Fujitsu / Panasonic split INVERTER (DC comp) system (labour prices are insane).

The only plug-in split units I think are now banned re people getting leaks in Spain etc and just buying another as either not repairable or just chea per.

I say insane labour prices as I think "everything on wall, cored, copper fl are, vac & fill, condensate drain ready outside so no pump, power SFCU read y" was still £800-1000 labour in 2013. I have noticed a scramble to supe r-expensive CO2 dual scroll compressor DC invertor units to reduce maintena nce costs at many places despite enormous unit capital cost.

Reply to
js.b1

Well it said they were in stock on their website so I set off from Darwen to Preston to go and get one. I sampled the delights that only the M6 on a Friday afternoon in the summer holidays can deliver. The guy at the counter told me they kept them at their other warehouse due to their size. Anyone care to guess where their other warehouse is?

The unit blows out plenty of cold air but as others have said it will probably be better at cooling anyone who is caught in the draught rather than effectively cooling a space, it will get the acid test tomorrow, if anyone is interested i'll report back.

Reply to
R D S

Good point, I'm pretty sure I paid significantly less than 300 notes over ten years ago.

Reply to
newshound

Its worse than that. They suck in air from the room and blow it out through the exhaust pipe. Air you have just cooled!

You can buy units that suck in air from one pipe and exhaust it from another and can be as good as a split unit.

Reply to
dennis

If they actually have any left.

You need a core drill about 75 mm to put the pipes through.

Reply to
dennis

Not the way mine works. The fan blows air from the room over the evaporator, while air (admittedly from the room) is blown over the condensor before being blown out through the duct. So clearly not as efficient as a split unit, but nothing like as bad as Dennis suggests.

Reply to
newshound