Air conditioning

That is exactly what I said so it is as bad.

Reply to
dennis

I think perhaps you were reading a little to literally... the "air you have just cooled" bit referring to any air taken from the room, not a suggestion that its specifically ducted off the cool air being emitted right at that moment.

Reply to
John Rumm

Based on experience with the one I have, I would not criticise it quite as harshly. In my previous 12 x 9' office with lots of IT kit churning out heat 24/7, it would drop the room temperature from high 20's / early

30s to something in the low 20's, and more importantly, remove most of the humidity that made the temperature so oppressive. I quite a agree it has its flaws (noisy, poor efficiency etc when compared to a split unit), but it was substantially better than nothing and way better than just having fans.
Reply to
John Rumm

Yup please do.

Reply to
John Rumm

I got in work at 10am, temperature was just shy of 25 degrees, it would normally rise gradually through the day to something approaching 30 by the time I go home.

It reduced the temp to 22.5 and held it for most of the day until I had to do a load of coming and going and leaving doors open where it rose to

  1. Not a drastic difference on paper but I can say it was a helluva lot more comfortable working environment.

So i'm not blown away by how effective it is but nevertheless glad I have it. And in our somewhat dusty line of work if it sucks a load of air out that will be a bonus.

Reply to
R D S

In message , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com writes

I have a portable split unit. Bought it for the caravan but it can also be used on ground floor rooms quite easily and is very effective.

I can assure you they are not useless. They may be noisy and maybe not super efficient but the hot air blown out is much hotter than any hot air sucked in. The temperature gauges can be misleading as they measure the inlet air.

Reply to
bert

I fitted a reversible split aircon unit to our office some 15 years ago.

In summer when you can't think for the heat and humidity its just "sane" in there.

Worth every penny of what it cost and what it costs to run !....

Reply to
tony sayer

What if it was outside, set to 'heat' with the chuffpipe venting into the room?

Reply to
R D S

It would heat the room like a heat pump would.

You would need to know where the condensate was going though as some chuck it up the pipe and some don't.

Reply to
dennis

It would be an interesting experiment.

Still have a similar issue that it's not recirculating the cooled air, but cycling it in and out of the house.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Advised by a consultant who knows his stuff that these are a waste of time ... you need a split unit so not affecting air balance in room, and much more efficient, especially as they have outside to vent the 'collected' heat

Reply to
Rick Hughes

There was talk some years back about split-reverse heat pumps ...

These were run one way to cool the house, and using heat pump technology were supposed to be much more efficient .... and run them in reverse in winter to heat the house.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

That's why they are not a good as a split unit - but doesn't render them totally useless.

Reply to
bert

Again I must say in my experience they are not useless. That is pure hyperbole. A split unit is obviously better.

Reply to
bert

Yup having owned and used one, I would also vote for effective enough in some circumstance. May well be crap compared to a split unit but still better than nothing.

Reply to
John Rumm