Air conditioning exhaust

I have a portable Air Conditioning unit and would like to use the chimney as an exhaust, can I just put the extension hose into the chimney and let the hot air rise out like a fire would ?. It would seem better than using a window as that worked but very hard to make it in anyway airtight.

Reply to
rob2

Most aircons generate not just hot air, but hot very wet air, to the point where a lot pf it drips around the place..if the tube goes straight up, chances are it will run back down the tube into the unit.

Of course that depends a lot on the exact unit, which is unspecified.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How does it make the air wetter than it already is?

Reply to
adder1969

How does it make the air wetter than it already is?

Reply to
adder1969

By effectively drying the bit that it is cooling.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
adder1969

It's the first one on this page TC-N014R, it has a water collecting system in it but haven't needed to empty it yet.

rob2

It's the first one on this page TC-N014R, it has a water collecting system in it but haven't needed to empty it yet.

rob2

It's the first one on this page TC-N014R, it has a water collecting system in it but haven't needed to empty it yet.

rob2

thanks, its the first one on this page TC-N014R

has a water tank inside it but i've only just started using it today.

Reply to
rob2

thanks, its the first one on this page TC-N014R

has a water tank inside it but i've only just started using it today.

Reply to
rob2

's not enough data there to tell. Some units evaporate the condensate on the hot condensor (which is then expelled with the hot air) as this reduces the requirement for draining the condensate out, and it makes the condensor more efficient.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

> There's not enough data there to tell. Some units evaporate the

The diagram shows that the unit does that.

Reply to
dennis

>>> There's not enough data there to tell. Some units evaporate the

I didn't scroll down far enough ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It does depend on the type of aircon. If it condenses water out to a tank or a drain the exhaust air will be no wetter than ambient. If however it is the type that evaporates off the condensate then the exhaust will be wet.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup. But some air somewhere gets wetter, and some air somewhere gets drier :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd say it produces nothing like enough heat to create an updraught.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't forget that its fan driven at a fair speed. It would suck all the remaining cool air up the chimney and remove the effect of the AC pretty quickly unless the hose is sealed to the chimney to stop it drawing the room air up the chimney IMO.

Reply to
dennis

> It has a water tank inside it but i've only just started using it > today. The give away of how to mount the vent house is the "window mounting kit".

A mate of mine had one like this and wanted to operate it on his landing, to cool all the upstairs rooms so a ran a pipe up into loft and along and vented out soffit. The two project killers were 1. Its performance in blowing along such a length of exhaust pipe was crap, basically any more pipe than supplied and it performance is next to useless and 2. condenate collected in the pipe, he found puddles in the horizontal section in the loft and water ran down the vertical section back into the unit, filling it up and leaking onto floor.

Ended up having a proper two part air-con unit professionally installed that worked properly rather than messing around with the "toy" air conditioners that appear so popular nowadays.

Reply to
Ian_m

Put in air con is easy. The only problem, sometimes, is the hight.

Reply to
zaax