Intermittent Water Heater Leaks

have 14 yr old gas WH. at different times throughout the day/week, there is water on the platform below the heater and on the floor. NOT all the time. So the home warranty company says "Too Bad, you'll have to wait till it fails." the tech thinks I am crazy since "he" (age 22 +/-) has NEVER seen a WH do that. Am I crazy? What else should I be looking for? anyway to predict WH failure - other than Murphy's law?

Reply to
Claudia

Put a bucket below the relief valve outlet/pipe to see if the water is from there.

If the water *is* coming from the relief, very likely you need a thermal expansion tank and the heater is not failing. More info:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

already thought of that one - and the water on the floor was not from the relief valve, but was still on the floor, assuming overflow from the stand.

that is what is mak> >

Reply to
Claudia

Hi, Take the warning sign and replace it before it becomes bigger problem. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

This has my vote. A water heater that's lasted 12 years has lasted longer than expected. You have the equiv of a 20 year old cat. But without the happy feelings for it.

Get a new tankless water heaters (about 1/4 more efficient) - less space, lasts longer than most heaters. Hardly a new technology, just a little new-ish to americans.

Trust me, it SUCKS to have to replace a water heater RIGHT NOW. A friend went through this when his "gave out" the day before a trip, with renters. In the winter.

You have the joy of a couple weeks notice.

Reply to
Chuck Yerkes

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

On the one hand, I agree with everyone who says to replace it; a 14 year old WH is too old to screw with. On the other hand, a WH cannot leak intermittently, which is why the warranty guy is confused. It either has a hole, or it doesn't.

All I can think is that your t&p valve is not functional and occasionally the pressure gets way too high and forces a leak that doesn't occure at normal pressure. (I had an improperly soldered valve at 92psi that is just fine after after i put a pressure reducer on. Same idea.) Do you test the valve periodically as required? If not, it could be crudded shut.

Reply to
toller

Could a fitting be leaking , Turn up the temp to see if it is heat- pressure related.

14 yrs is old, get a Bosch or Takagi gas tankless my savings are 50%.+ Tanks loose efficiency as scale builds on the bottom tankless dont loose and last up to 30 yrs.
Reply to
m Ransley

While I would not bet on it. Occasionally condensation can be mistaken for a leak.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I disagree. Not often, by any means, but the expansion and contraction of heating the tank with heat (fire - gas) can expand or contract a weakness in the tank, causing it to leak...or not leak.

I would suspect that relief valve also, but if you're convinced that can't be the problem, then I would suspect a leaky tank.

I would replace it as soon as possible, especially considering the age of the WH.

Reply to
Amuzed2death