Replacing A Water Heater

I'm replacing my aging (34 year old) AO Smith 52-gal electric water heater. I looked at the GE brand at Home Depot. But since my water heater failed last night, I called a plumber, and he's installing a 50-gal Bradford White today ($360.00 + $250 installation) Is this a pretty decent brand of water heater?

It has a 6-year warranty. They want another $170 to extend the waranty to

12 years. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Scott

Reply to
Scott

As someone else said, they're mostly pretty similar these days, only a few different companies actually make the things.

Extended warranties are a scam, skip it.

Reply to
James Sweet

34 YEARS!!!!

That sounds like a world record for a water heater tank.

Can anyone here top that?

The price for the heater is right in line with what the big box stores charge for 50 gallon electric water heaters.

If the installation price includes delivery and removal/disposal of the old heater I'd say the price isn't too bad if you live in a high rent part of the country.

Too bad you can't just handle the installation yourself with a buddy or BIL, it's really not that big a project.

Re the extended warranty, I never go for them, there always seems to be a "catch" if you have to use them.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Is that $170 for an extended warranty on the same unit, or for an upgraded unit with, say two anodes instead of one, better insulation, and a "smarter" control system?

With most of the brands I've compared, the 9-yr and 12-yr ones have better features, not just a longer warranty.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Jeff,

Yeah, I guess it could be a world's record. I don't even want to know what the tank looks like on the inside. The good news is that it never leaked.

The plumber just installed a Bradford White 50-gal electric, and it works great! And tt should be a lot more energy efficient.

The price is right, too. And, yes, it included delivery and the disposal of the old heater.

I'll skip the extended warranty.

Thanks again! Scott

Reply to
Scott

Jeff,

Actually, the labor was only $175.00, so the total came to $545.00. That seems very reasonable. And, their plumber did a quality job installing it.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Scott wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uslink.net:

Is that a typo?! You sure you weren't like in the hospital once and to avoid worrying you because it went out someone had it replaced?

Reply to
Red Green

Scott wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uslink.net:

I bet it's 98% solid with just a 1" path somewhere inside.

Reply to
Red Green

That sounds like a pretty good deal. If it's a straight out and in job you might consider doing it yourself depending on how comfortable you are with that stuff.

The last water heater I had installed cost over $900 but I had to have some upgrades done to the plumbing fittings too. Still I think that was a bit high. They tend to screw you when you need hot water!

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

Red Green,

Honest! We live in Central Minnesota. We moved into this house in 1977. The builder built the house in 1974 as his personal home. This is the water heater that came with the house. We haven't touched it. Never even drained the sediment from the bottom. It just kept going and going...until last night when the thermostat stuck on, and the relief valve opened up.

And that's the whole story. Wow, this must be a world record :)

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Depends on what the water is like. I checked out my unit when it was 13 years old, there was a little bit of crud sitting in the bottom but hardly significant, less than a handful. Not much in the way of minerals in my water.

Reply to
James Sweet

Do you have a water softener? I've heard those will lengthen the life of a water heater.

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

You big dummy!

You replaced a perfectly good water heater because a five-dollar part blew?

Reply to
HeyBub

w?- Hide quoted text -

thermostats for gas fired water heaters are expensive, far more than 5 bucks

Reply to
hallerb

I thought this was an electric water heater? Even then the thermostat will be a lot more than $5. That said, if it's 34 years old, what will fail next if he replaced that part? What I've observed with water heaters is that once one part wears out, the rest are not far behind. There's exceptions to the rule, but it seems he got his money's worth and then some out of that thing.

Reply to
James Sweet

blew?- Hide quoted text -

around here some really old homes have gas stainless water heaters, they live aabout 50 years, but no doubt are inefficent, and few would spend enough to pay for one today, plus their recovery isnt as good.,

they are side arm heaters

a long life heater can be built.

sears sold and I believe grainger may still sell a lifetime electric water heater, it uses a PVC tank .......

Reply to
hallerb

FWIW, I had two aunts who I am pretty sure had electric WHs that lasted at least 34 years. One from each side of the family and about 2000 miles apart-- my mother's sister in law in west Texas and my dad's sister in upstate NY. Both were finally replaced. I think the one in Tx did have a catastrophic failure (major leak), but as I recall the tank of the one in NY was actually still ok, but a pipe going to the heater leaked, and it broke off at the WH and could not be removed, at least easily, so they just replaced the whole thing. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

I've just been informed by the guys at

that the water softener we installed about three years ago has probably

*reduced* the life of our water heater.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Did they say why? Logic (maybe flawed) says that the reduction in sediment would extend the life. Could it be because of the trace amount of NaCl left in the water?

I was told that the water softener eliminates the need to drain the water heater too. Did they say anything about that?

BTW: I don't remember who told me this. Maybe I dreamed it.

Thanks

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

Olddog,

Yes, we have a water softener, because the water from our well contains organic iron.

Scott

Reply to
Scott