Leak testing a conservatory?

Whilst conservatories obviously don't lend themselves too well to winter us e we do nevertheless (have to) use ours on occasion. With a wet radiator an d a radiant electric wall heater it can be made quite comfortable on even t he coldest of days.

However, whilst we don't feel any drafts in there I have noticed that with the doors to the house closed and the door trickle vents open there is quit e a draft travelling through the vents hence I am assuming that this air mu st ultimately coming in from outside the conservatory.

I am therefore wondering how best to test for where these leaks are occurin g? There are numerous points at which it is not possible to visibly confirm whether there's an air path between, say, the frame and the roof for examp le.

I'm thinking some form of smoke bomb/pellet would be my best bet. If so, an y recommendations or alternative suggestions?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

On Saturday 25 January 2014 10:27 Mathew Newton wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Stage smoke machine might be the best best in terms of not damaging stuff where it lands. Ignoring dry ice machines, the lower ends use some sort of oil which is claimed to be "harmless" to materials.

It's funny you shoudl mention this - I have just sheeted the inside of mind prior to taking an angle grinder to the floor and the roof section seems to move around a fair bit - it's very well sealed and taped. I suspect there must be some small air leaks in mine.

Also, the dehumidifier will produce about 2l of water a day. Some of that could be migrating through the house wall, but I'm not sure all of it is...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Leaks - or falling cold air?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I'm confident it's the former. The trickle vents are at the top of the doors so quite near the ceiling, and for air to be felt leaving the conservatory through the vents an equivalent amount must be getting in elsewhere.

I'll look into Tim's smoke machine suggestion.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton