Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7f2f081e-2b21-11dd-a7fc-000077b07658.html

A very small step (for man or mankind....)
"The S-Class car, a 'mild' hybrid that will still draw most of its power from petrol..."
--
Roland Perry

remarked:

You clearly did not read it all.
were saying:

Indeed.
But do Lithium Ion batteries provide the step forward that's being alleged?
Not really. One litre of petrol provides 35MJ of energy, about 10kWh. Even a small car will have a c.50 litre fuel tank, something the size of an S-class nearer double that.
So that's 0.5-1MWh of energy on board. Wonder how big the battery pack would have to be to replace that...? Wonder how long it'll take to recharge...?
Unless and until that's addressed, pure-electric cars can only replace internal combustion for short-to-medium journey use.
gurgled happily, sounding much like they

Which is the vast amount of car journeys. That is why hybrids answer the current problem. Battery for town, petrol for longer.
The electrci Mini answers much of the problems. I gave the link.
like they were saying:

...and the easiest ones to replace. It's also NOT the vast majority of total vehicle mileage. It's probably a minority of total mileage and therefore fuel use, especially when you include the fact that the "average vehicle" is probably larger for long journeys than for short urban journeys.

No, it's why hybrids answer the wrong question.

Woo. Two mile range at a pace an out-of-tune 2cv could beat, then the petrol engine's needed to charge your Pious up again.

...an even wronger question...
Adrian wrote:

I disagree,. Sub 200 mile trips account for probably 95% of al domestic motoring and about 50% of commercial motoring.

Since your basic assumption is wrong, I cant really say more than 'you are wrong with your conclusions'

200 miles is a very large threshold. I'd use 50 miles as where "long distance" starts.
--
Roland Perry

Roland Perry wrote:

Well I used 200miles because that is what is currently achievable at decent performance with LI-Ion batteries.

Which car is that, then?
--
Roland Perry

Roland Perry wrote:

The one I calculated;-) T-zero is not far off that.
remarked:

I gave a link.
remarked:

Try this "home made" car built in 2004..
http://www.speedace.info/lithium_ion_electric_car.htm
http://greenerenergy.eu/cms/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
"official testing carried out by AEA Technology" ...
Extra urban cycle: 255 km/156 miles **Urban cycle: 326 km/ 204 miles** Urban cycle power consumption: 0.121 kWh/km Extra urban cycle power consumption: 0.155 kwh/km Maximum speed measured during tests: 114 kmh/71 mph Useable energy stored in batteries: 39.6 kWh Motor: Advanced DC with Regenerative Braking
21:24:37 on Tue, 27 May 2008, CWatters

Well, it's a "car" I suppose. Not exactly room for a family of four and their shopping.
--
Roland Perry

I read somewhere it only cost him 9,000 to make.
This one manages 250Km/155miles but is a tad more expensive.. http://www.venturifetish.fr/?lang=en ..probably due to the fancy web site. Click on "power".
00:18:04 on Thu, 29 May 2008, CWatters

If it's hone-made, does it avoid all the rules about being tested for crash-worthiness, damaging pedestrians etc?
--
Roland Perry

were saying:

Which, going by the battery-to-mileage efficiency of the Pious would require 75kWh of capacity.
There's also the problem of people not necessarily having access to charging sockets at either home _or_ work currently, which would require a LOT of infrastructure upgrades in order to be provided.
And where's all this extra electricity coming from, anyway?
London ALONE sees 33bn vehicle km per year. That's about 15bn kWh of electrickery at Pious battery-mode usage rates. 15 terawatt-hours.
Now, remind me why I was meant to be changing from 60w incandescent light bulbs to 11w CFL?
Adrian wrote:

Domestically its a twelve hour charge overnight on cheap rate. Easy enough for those with garages and well within domestic supply limits.
For regulated car parking, again easy enough to add socket-in-pole charging meters.
Hardest one is on street unregualated parking. Poeple will have to find sopmewhere else to park their cars overnight. Oh dear. What a shame.

About 70 nuclear power stations by my reckoning, and a 3:1 upsize in the the grid overall. Howver tht would happen over a couple of decades progressively.

For purely political reasons. We need to be using more electricity, not less, as long as its nuclear and not fossil generated. Anyway, off peak its cheaper than oil, now.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Municipal and railway station car parks could be used as re-charging zones... like when you go to a campsite with a motor home or caravan, there are generally two rates, one for a straight pitch and another higher rate for services.
At least I'd feel I was getting some value from the pleasure of having to pay 500+ for my car to sit somewhere for 8 or 9 hours while I'm away at work.
were saying:

Can your local substation cope with every house it supplies pulling so much extra current?

Again, can substations cope?
Anyway - if 12hrs is only giving you 50 miles range, an hour on a meter's barely worth bothering with.

Congratulations, you've just waved your hand and removed a very large percentage of urban residents from the equation.

Quite.
Oh, well, that's OK then... Just remind me of the timescales being talked about for the couple of nuclear power stations we might one day get round to building? Then, of course, there's the political implications of building even those couple, let alone 70 more...