Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

well I won't totally quibble. I had it in mind that a part throttle diesel beat petrol by about 30% on mpg and about 20% on CO2. You say it might be nearer 20% and 14%. 'Significant, but not dramatic' is probably applicable to both cases.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. when te turbo hose split op the freelander. LOADS of black smoke. Its not bad when running freely under light load, but push any non blown diesel hard, and it will soot up badly. Blown is better, but even there, you are shoving excess fuel in to get the peak power and that lowers the oxygen:fuel ratio and soot results. Of course thats solid carbon, not CO2 ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On a proper electrc car, the brake pedal is what starts the regenerative braking, only when you go past a certain level do the final friction brakes cut in..

Again..'significant' is a fairly moveable feast..But every little helps to get more range out of the car.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Roberts

That depends on what you are comparing..

I get almost double what the wife gets out of her smaller petrol engined car. So I see it as saving lots.

Reply to
dennis

They should explain where the hydrogen is coming from.

Reply to
dennis

But they have to pass the emissions tests or no MOT. You can't have any smoke on a modern diesel and pass. I bet your old banger produces more.

Reply to
dennis

So buy a new one that doesn't smoke.

Reply to
dennis

Makes sense, certainly. Smaller controllers don't work like that, but could be so designed (anyone interested in working on such?).

Driving any car for maximum economy requires different techniques. Maximising an EV's efficiency is different again.

Reply to
Richard Torrens

The Natural Philosopher gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Fine. So why isn't that being done with a _lighter_ internal combustion drivetrain?

Reply to
Adrian

The Natural Philosopher gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Pop round some time, and have a look. There's a spare engine and box in one of the lockups, together with most panels. All I'm missing in spares is a chassis and 'shell.

Reply to
Adrian

And make me cough.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Our 'old banger' is serviced and tested. It's the newest car we've ever had.

So saying, I have little faith in the efficiency of emission tests on any vehicle :-(

We were once stopped by a police spot check. Spouse was worried (he's terrified of 'authority') and I had to tell him to be quiet or he'd have been defensive. I smiled nicely and was treated courteously and our emissions were tested and we were waved on.

Spouse was testy for the rest of the journey.

My attitude was that if there were a problem we should - SHOULD - have it seen to.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Is it the way she drives?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

historical inertia.

Plus the fact that with such an expensive thing as a motor, given that the cost is pretty much the same for a llttle un as a big un, its easier to shove a big un in and throw some bent tinplate around it and still have performance.

below a certain level. weight reduction isn't that mileage saving anyway..its all aero/size on the motorway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try this "home made" car built in 2004..

"official testing carried out by AEA Technology" ...

Extra urban cycle: 255 km/156 miles

**Urban cycle: 326 km/ 204 miles** Urban cycle power consumption: 0.121 kWh/km Extra urban cycle power consumption: 0.155 kwh/km Maximum speed measured during tests: 114 kmh/71 mph Useable energy stored in batteries: 39.6 kWh Motor: Advanced DC with Regenerative Braking
Reply to
CWatters

LIPOs do not. They are sealed.

no emmissions from Li-Ion Or nickel cells either.

The green people should look at the complete scene

No one has a fleet of LI-ion batteries. Well I do, but they are somewhat smaller.

dozens of fork lift trucks are battery powred and dont normally kill people. Ditto electric trains.

Anyway more peple will be saved because wth less noise around, they will be able to heare the diesel busses coming ;-)

Ohmigawd, a weirdo.

No one is pushing hydrogen power here. Complete dead end.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That it might be, but I wonder if the local distribution grid could cope if lots of us pushed up our consumption. It's one thing for the supply to houses to be rated at 100A but quite another if we all draw 50A. That's apart from the generation issue.

Reply to
CWatters

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Yes not quite the Hydrogen which cased all of that, apparently the envelope fabric was almost explosive!...

Reply to
tony sayer

The Natural Philosopher gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

...is the right answer...

So why is it suddenly going to get 30% market penetration based solely on a powertrain technology that also requires massive infrastructure investment?

Yes and no.

Reply to
Adrian