Fio all those who love Dixons as much as I do..;-)

The Natural Philosopher

Here is the gist

Dixons Group, the struggling electrical retailer, on Wednesday was cautious about prospects for the rest of the year as it revealed a fall in the sales of mobile phones and PCs over the summer.

In the UK, which accounts for just under three quarters of underlying profit, like-for-like sales dropped 7 per cent and 4 per cent overall for the 16 weeks to August 20. Total group like-for-like sales dropped 3 per cent.

The slowdown was led by The Link, Dixons? mobile phone chain, which saw sales drop dramatically, down 28 per cent on a like-for-like basis, while PC World sales dropped 7 per cent during the same period.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hardly suprising when most of their stock can be bought for much cheaper online!

Reply to
Dark Angel

'collect @ store' or something.

All it does is let you select items on their website, reserve them online for collection at your local store and then pop in and pay for them. The benefit is that you still benefit from their 'web exclusive' prices, which, whilst not covering an extensive range of stock, do occasionally have some good bargains.

Alex

Reply to
Alex (YMG)

Nothing what so ever to do with that fact, the problem is that the retail trade (both high street and online) is suffering an across the board down turn in trade as the consumer either puts money aside or shifts available funds over to an increase in essential spending. Many people are only making distress purchases at the moment.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

:::Jerry:::: muttered:

Yeah... any purchase from Dixons is guaranteed to cause distress alright.

Reply to
Magwitch

Excellent. Let's hope that Morrisons reports similarly.

Reply to
Andy Hall

One can tell those who were at the back of the class, no doubt larking about, when the IQ rations were being given out...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:1126107050.411.0@nnrp-t71-

02.news.clara.net:

far the worst dealer, they make Dixon's look good -ish,

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Don't read too much into it. We have experienced a huge drop in sales over the period described in the above. sales were dropping off at a rate we haven never seem before in 7 years, and we are absolutely nothing to do with the electronics industry. It's just been one of those times when no-one has been spending.

Fortunately things have already turned, and we have seen sales rise significantly since the last week of August.

Folks are flexing their cards once more.

Reply to
PeTe33

Given that most people hereabouts aren't actually hungry, there's a debate to be had about whether it actually matters that there's a slowdown in people buying stuff that they don't actually need and can survive quite happily without, particularly when buying a new stuff involves having to throw away the perfectly functional previous one to make room for it (how many mobes can *you* carry at once?). (Someone remind me of the name and author of that SF story where the poor were forced to buy and consume 24/7 and the rich could afford to just sit around not buying things?)

-- Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear Brett Ward Ltd -

Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board -
Cambridge City Councillor

Reply to
Tim Ward

Comet IS dixons

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually no. Comet is owned by Kesa Electricals, a European electrical retail group operating mainly in France and Benelux.

It was a spinoff from Kingfisher in 2003.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Currys is Dixons, Comet is not.

Doh!

Reply to
Geoffrey

In article , mike ring writes

Worse in what sense? They were always a "warehouse" type operation. In the early days more like Argos, with a catalogue at the door and very little on display. They never attempted to give any advice. Whereas Dixons is much more of a traditional "shop". (Although PC World is a clone of CompUSA, which itself was a warehouse style operation, before it changed its name from Soft Warehouse [geddit], anyway).

Reply to
Meldrew of Meldreth

And where were you? Charm School?

Reply to
John Rumm

Who's shares have actually done rather well, oddly...

Reply to
John Rumm

One can only assume that they are better outside the UK than within.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Why?

Reply to
Brian Morrison

In article , Andy Hall writes

What do you mean by "better"? They are an unashamed no-frills retailer, is there something particular that they've done to you?

Reply to
Meldrew of Meldreth