Leak proofing round a soil pipe when building a conservatory

Hi

I am almost ready to purchased a self build conservatory, but I have 1 problem and would like some advice. THe conservatory will have a polycarbonate roof, and is of the lean to type.

There is a soil pipe on the wall where I want to fit my wall plate. I cannot change the location so I need some advice on how to fit round this. I have seen 2 options (from other photographs)

1) Cut the wall plate in 2 and fit either side of the soil pipe. Cut the polycarb sheeting to the shape of the pipe. In effect this would be a 'U' shaped cut in the sheeting. Then seal around the polycarb. I am having trouble working out exactly how I would seal/flash around the back of the soil pipe. What I have seen somewhere was just a whole load of sealer piled up - hoping that it wouldn't leak. It did not look very safe or reliable.

2) The only other option I have seen is where the builder built out from the wall using timber. Large battens were fitted to the wall either side of the soil pipe. Essentially a structure was built up and fixed to the wall around the wall pipe. The conservatory then starts proud of the pipe. The wall plate is fitted to the timber structure. The wall plate does not need to be cut, nor does the polycarb sheeting. You still have to seal up/flash the timber structure, and I could not see how that was done, but I am assuming the builder chose that option as it was preferable to cutting the sheeting because it would have been easier to seal/flash the timber than to seal/flash sheeting that had been cut.

So can anyone recommend which of these is the better option, in terms of getting a leakproof roof.

Either way how would someone flash up the soil pipe

May be there is a better option - if so I would like to hear it.

Many Thanks

Bhupesh

Reply to
bp

?

Reply to
dennis

Thanks for the reply, but I cant see how this would work. I live in a

2 storey house and the soil pipe goes all the way to the top. I would have to climb al the way to the roof to slip it over the top?

I could find a join in the middle - or even create one I guess. Its just more hassle as I did not want to touch the soil pipe in any way.

May be there is no way round this

Bhupesh

dennis@home wrote:

Reply to
bp

================================== If you have a flashing on the house wall covering the wall plate this will work - it worked for me. You might have to vary the details but the general idea works.

Cut two squares of lead flashing about 12" square (but to suit your dimensions). Cut a circular hole in each about an inch less than the diameter of the soil pipe. Use a pair of pliers to make a 1/2" upstand all round each hole so that the hole is now the same diameter of the soil pipe. Now make a cut in the side of each so that the piece of flashing can be fed in from the side - requires some bending, and the cuts must be in opposite sides. Make sure that each of the pieces of flashing can be fed under the wall-plate flashing. When both pieces are correctly positioned and tamped down, run a bead of silicone around the joint between the pipe and the small upstands made in the flashing. Mine has been in place for about two years now with no leaks.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Cicero,

Great. I had to read it twice but now I understand - and it seems workable - for me anyway.

If I choose this method, it doesnt matter how I start the conservatory

Thanks very much

Bhupesh

Cicero wrote:

Reply to
bp

--------------------------------------------- It is a bit confusing so I've just had a look at mine through an upstairs window. The important thing is to get one of the two squares of lead overlapping the other from the top rather than the sides. The general idea and the technique are the same so I hope I didn't confuse you too much. You might also run a bead of silicone or other sealant around the outer edges if you think there is any danger of strong cross winds driving rain in from the sides. Mine is in a fairly sheltered position and hasn't needed this.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

replying to Cicero, Prof wrote: There is an easier way, cut the soil pipe off below the conservatory roof and add an air admittance valve to the pipe

Reply to
Prof

And if there's a bathroom above the conservatory (The O/P did say soil pipe, rather than vent pipe a decade ago) just let the shit splatter on the roof?

Reply to
Andy Burns

A fine plan IMHO

Reply to