Tile Adhesive

Can anyone recommend a decent wall tile adhesive for use in a bathroom. I want to use waterproof adhesive, but unsure what to go for. Obviously I dont wantto spend over the odds, but I want a quality product. I looks at the wickes range, which seems reasonably priced, anyone ever used it or have an opinion?

By the way, for those that saw my previus threads a few weeks ago, I actually ended up stripping all the ol tiles off the walls, so i am tiling onto a bare plastered wall now. The old tiles were held on with a thick blob of adhesive in each corner and were tiled over wallpaper. They seemed strong enough before I took the bath out but once that came out it became clear that they were bodged. Took me no time at all to get them all off, most came off whole and in strips as they were on the wall, held together by the grout!!! Oh well, made my job easier, now I can do a proper job hopefully!

Reply to
Thomarse

I use the Wickes stuff - never had a problem with it. Best use a specific grout though, the combined adhesive/grouts don't grout well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Which I have found out through an error this week. I had a bathrrom to do, with a mosaic layer of 3 ~1" square tiles half way up the wall. I tried one, and it was a pain to do with the normal cement, as the grey cement pushed through the backing net, and made a mess, so I bought a tub of combined grout/cement in white, and used that. No problem with the mosiacs, which stayed white through the gaps. I had some left, and instead of mixing up my usual Mapei grout, thought I'd finish off the grout/cement tub. It went on OKish, a little stiff for grouting for my liking, but once sponged down, it looked OK. That was until the next day, where every joint was now in a 'V' shape with mulitple pinholes. It all had to be done again. With proper powder grout this time. I've since tried it on my kitchen floor which needed grouting, and pushed the grout well down between the joints, thinking it would be better, but it wasnt, this formed a 'V' gully in the joins as well. Best advice would be to avoid combined grout/cement, and posssibly all pre-mixed grouts. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I've just tiled my bathroom - a mixture of plaster on brick and plasterboard - and used Homebase 'waterproof'. Which of course isn't waterproof in the sense you can use it for a swimming pool - but is ok for showers, etc. I used it because it was on special offer - 100% extra free. When I ran out one time I got some Wicks stuff that said 'waterproof' and the tiles on plasterboard fell off. Only then did I read the instructions and it said not suitable for porcelain tiles. Not quite sure what the difference is - apart from weight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I got as far as Evostik waterproof, liked it and looked no further. There may be better, but its good enough for me.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

seconded. I use Bal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pinholes are exactly the problem I've had Alan.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman