Tile adhesive spreading; advice wanted

Everyone seems to be tiling. . .

I am in the middle of my first wall-tiling attempt.

I have a problem in that the adhesive spreader tends to pull the adhesive off the wall in places instead of spreading it, leaving islands without adhesive.

Anyone have a tip about how to avoid this?

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Use better adhesive. Are you using the B&Q "Tile and Grout" stuff ? It's awful for this.

As to technique, then use the spreader flatter and more like a spatula. Once you have it "stuck" to the wall, you can go back across it and comb it into ridges.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Tile adhesive can go off quickly, so one possibility is that the adhesive is drying out. What you should be doing is taking a lump of adhesive out of the can and then putting the lid back on so that the air doesn't get to it. Extra work, but it does keep the adhesive fresher longer.

The other thing is wall preparation. Part of the reason why adhesive lifts off the wall is because the adhesive isn't sticking to the wall nearly well enough. Make sure you seal the wall as needed before you start.

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting usenet messages is configured such that my antispam filter will automatically update itself so that the senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do need to contact me please visit my web site and submit an enquiry -

Andrew McKay

Thanks for the advice. I believe that you have more time than you think to spead the adhesive and should not panic to get the tiles on as fast as possible! (Instructions - product=Knauf - give 20 mins but that spounds way too long.)

I think the initial smeer onto the wall is critical, as Andy suggests; I will be more attentive to that and not do the combing before all the area is well-covered with adhesive. A good tool for smeering is probably worth the investment. (My spreader is a bit too small for that.)

Robert S

Reply to
Robert

In message , Robert writes

Yes go and buy a decent metal toothed spreader, it's much easier and quicker, and does the job better.

Using that I find I can easily spread and comb the adhesive in one go.

Reply to
chris French

It really depends on how big the tub is. When I tiled a bathroom last year I bought a big tub. It lasted well enough, but as I got towards the bottom I saw the benefit of buying several smaller tubs which could have be left sealed up until the point of use.

More expensive, but perhaps more practical as well. Depends whether you are doing a lot of tiling I suppose - we each have our preferences and no-one is wrong.

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting usenet messages is configured such that my antispam filter will automatically update itself so that the senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do need to contact me please visit my web site and submit an enquiry -

Andrew McKay

without

I always have that problem so I ignore the instructions and always put the adhesive on the tile. It's worked fine so far and I'm unable to think of any problems .

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I use the BAL powered adhesives which you mix up yourself (regular, not the rapid set type). I've never had that behave as described by the OP.

I've heard a few less favourable comments about ready-mixed tile adhesives, but never tried them myself.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Use a decent sized 1/2 moon or float-style steel spreader. The little plastic ones provided with ready-mixed adhesive are counter-productive.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

One thing about the spreader - it might help if it were damp (not dripping wet!). If it is completely dry it can give rise to the adhesive sticking to it, whereas some sort of moisture can help the adhesive slide on the spreader.

Just a quick dip in water and a wipe off should be sufficient.

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting usenet messages is configured such that my antispam filter will automatically update itself so that the senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do need to contact me please visit my web site and submit an enquiry -

Andrew McKay

That will often work, however it's not a good solution if the wall is slightly uneven.

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting usenet messages is configured such that my antispam filter will automatically update itself so that the senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do need to contact me please visit my web site and submit an enquiry -

Andrew McKay

It will work ok usually (depends a bit on the surface). The two downsides I can see are: It will make it hader to get the tiles even in level since you can't set one level over a wide area first. It will also not be suitable for wet service areas where the adheasive needs to be a solid bed with no gaps (the ribs applied onto the bed of adhesive rather than right through it).

Reply to
John Rumm

suggests; I

Indeed, good metal toothed spreader. And actually I comb the tile, not the wall .. !

It's worked for me so far ..

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to