Wall Tile adhesive queries - best way to spread it and best way to clean it up

Can anyone advise on a couple of wall tile adhesive questions please?
1. What is the best way to apply it to get even 'ribs'. I get very uneven spreading - some ribs, but also some very thin patches and some 'clumps'. I'm using good (Bal Green) adhesive and a 5mm notched spreader. I've been applying a layer of adhesive to the wall first then combing the notched spreader along at 45deg.. I just can't seem to get nice even ribs of adhesive.
2. Is there a best way to clean tiling tools after use? Does it help if they are soaked in water first? Is it helpful to use washing up liquid? Is it OK to pour the washings down the drain (will it clog the drains?) if not, what is the alternative?
Many thanks
Steve
Steve wrote:

Sounds like you may not have mixed the adhesive well enough. Some of these things are better mechanically whisked into the water, but I'm not familiar with the product

I wash the tools in a bucket of water every half an hour or so. Bits of adhesive start to harden on the spreader quite quickly during use and make the job harder.
Leave the bucket for an hour to let the solids sink to the bottom, and pour off the clear water

Agreed - I used Mapei (the other really good adhesive brand) and used a paddle on an electric drill for all mixing to produce a really smooth gloop. Once you have achieved a good working consistency, even application is down to practice.

Agreed again - also a large damp rag is very useful to clean up the very frequent blobs that seem to get on tool handles and clothes.
--
Robert

. <clipped> .
. <clipped> . Thanks for that Stuart and Robert. FWIW I'm using BAL ready-mixed adhesive, so poor mixing isn't my problem - its just down to technique/practice I guess.
Steve wrote:

Did you PVA the wall first? If not the wall could be drying out the adhesive as you spread it.
I chuck my tiling stuff in a bucket of brick acid every now & then.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
The Medway Handyman wrote:

A good tile adhesive should be able to cope with porous walls

Easier to clean up as you go. You only need a bucket of water

Only time I've PVA'd a wall before tiling is if it is lime plaster and in poor condition - to give it some more strength. I'd say the most absorbent wall would be bare plasterboard - and not had any problems tiling direct to that using a decent ready mix.
--
*A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Plasterboard is positively dense compared to my walls.
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I get a surprising amount of 'a few of my tiles have fallen off' jobs.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Probably through using a cheap/unsuitable adhesive. I had that when using a Wicks one.
--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I never know what adhesive has been used, but its always the adhesive has firmly stuck to the tile but not the wall, so I assume its due to lack of PVA.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Suppose if the grout had failed and water got in that's where it would give way first, since tiles don't usually absorb water. But I'm not sure PVA would help in that case since it's not waterproof either.
--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

All pva ever does is stop the liquid part soaking into the plaster before whatever you're using has had a chance to cure, so it's an inhibitor rather than a barrier.