[SOLVED] Best way to plane off some width from a wall stud

Is it load bearing?

Just tear the bastard out and put in a new one.

Reply to
Matt

Notch that stud where the tubs flange is and then push the tub back into the notch so it touches the other studs. Then rip up some luan and furr out the other studs.

Reply to
calhoun

sharpen the hand planer and have at it. my motto: another project, another tool. an electric power planer would be perfect. you'll have to a little chisel work at the ends since both planers won't get to the end of the stud.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I would also use a belt sander with a 50 grit belt. Will work wonders

- quickly. Best way to use one is with a shop vac attached to the belt sander instead of the bag.

Reply to
scott_z500

A sawzall comes to mind....You can probably rent one if you don't own one. You also might want to sister another board onto it when you are done for structural integrity....but without seeing it.....it's hard to say....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

How about a handheld power planer ??

Reply to
JackRabbit

You can BUY one from Harbor Freight for $20.00! It should last long enough for one 2x4.

Reply to
JerryMouse

Use a: Jig saw Sawzall Circular saw Hand saw Hack saw

Cut across the face of the stud to the depth you want to remove, do this about every inch or more often if you are so inclined. Use a sharp wood chisel, sharp hand axe, or ever an old beater screw driver and chip off the excess material to reach your line.

DanG

The last ones I had to do that to yielded quite gracefull to a Stanley jack plane in just a few minutes. The hardest part was shooting a chalk line down the edge to show me where to shave.

Reply to
John McGaw

In a bathroom remodel I discovered that one of the wall studs behind the tub is out about 1/4" beyond the others. It's the stud right in the middle of the tub in the length direction. The old tub was apparently set a a slight angle because of this.

I realize I could just set the new tub strainght and out a 1/4", but this would require trimming another 1/4" off the floor tile. I had already trimmed it before discovering the problem. It's not an easy task, but doable.

The alternative is to somehow trim off the width of the stud that is out too far. It looks like I'd have to plane about 1/4" of at the height of the tub rim, then taper off the trim to nothing about a foot or two above. What's the easiest way to do it? I have a power saber saw, a handheld grinder, a Dremel, and a crummy little hand planer.

TIA

Reply to
Jag Man

A belt sander would do it in no time. A builder would put a stud next to it and cut the bad stud in half

Reply to
Art

================ I am having trouble picturing exactly what you have in mind... But to remove 1/4 inch off a 2x4 stud and tapering the amount that you remove could be done very easily and very quickly and with very little effort with almost any half way decient hand plane...

I am a long time hobbiest woodworker and I do own a power hand plane like the others have suggested and to be very honest I would not even think of using it....sure its small.. but it is heavy, not balanced well, and would require much more effort on my part then just using a "good" habd plane.. and it would really only save maybe a minute or two

I think hand plane and sawsall ....the saber saw that you already own would work almost as well as the sawzall for this job... Another poster suggested notching the stud for the lip of the tub then furring the other studs out 1/4 inch with Luan (Cheap paneling)... that suggestion is a good one...depending on what you have in mind for the finised wall to look like...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Works for me JM......Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Having used them all, I would suggest in this order:

Power hand planer Hand planer Belt sander

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I bought one ($19.95) and it's due to arrive this week. I'll report back.

Reply to
JerryMouse

OP-

You've gotten lots of good options. Most require very simple tools

Please, enough with the suggesions of getting jjunk tools from Harbor Freight.

There are lots of alternatives to shipping $'s off to China for the crap that generally comes from there.

Ebay, renting, tool sharing with responsible friends, borrow from your brother?

Reply to
BobK207

Reply to
Phisherman