Range hood installation- stud in the way

We're working on getting a range hood installed where there is no existing ducting. This will go through a plaster wall (ca. 1938) and brick veneer exterior wall. The problem is a stud that positions at the rightmost 2.5" of the opening for horizontal duct (3-1/4" x 10") placement. Although the manufacturer says there's 1" of play for off-center positioning, 2.5" is 1.5" too much. Going up through the cabinet is seriously undesirable.

The tech support said that the stud can be cut if a support frame is built and installed. My question is: how does one do that? What kind of wood? What kind of fasteners (nails? bolts?) How many layers of wood, vertically and horizontally (i.e., is two sistered better than one?)? Should the frame be secured somehow to another stud for stability?

Is there a website that gives the detailed information I need? Thanks so much!

Curly Sue

look into how they size headers for windows in walls. it's different if the wall is loadbearing or not.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Your house is 83 years old. Do this right, or you may suffer consequences. Cut open wall. Remove all plaster to reveal stud from floor to ceiling. Do not remove stud at this point, Measure distance between studs on left and right of stud to be removed,(should be around 32”. Divide this by 3,(around 10.75”). Install 2 studs at these locations on the left and right of stud to be removed. Cut out centre stud. A lot of work, but necessary . You’re not done yet! Before covering all this up, find out where the range hood mounting screws are going. Install a cross brace at this height so that your rang hood will have a firm mount to the wall. Do it right , or not at all!

Reply to
NYAHM

Fantastic! They've been waiting 16 years to put their kitchen back together, now they can proceed.

Reply to
trader_4

Well, if his house was 83 years old 16 years ago, how old is it now?

You may or may not know this, but most of the posts on homeowners hub are actually from Usenet.

On Usenet, we don't see old posts, only the most recent posts and replies. The post you just replied to is 16 years old. Please check the dates and if you feel you must reply, please include the original post in your reply.

Better yet, get a Usenet account. You can do this for free.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Yeah Curly Sue is now Bald.

Reply to