over the range hood

A ventless hood? Been there, done that. If you cook at all you'll regret this in the long term. Find the dough-re-me somewhere, install a vent and vented hood. I'm partial to the Broan Allure III, FWIW.

You may be able to draw power from one of the outlets depending on what else is on the circuit. Or you may need to run a new line tapping into another circuit or from the panel. Ask your electrician. In either case there will likely be some minor sheetrock damage needing repair. Since you haven't installed cabinets yet and it sounds like you haven't painted yet either, the repairs are no big deal.

Reply to
Luke

The kind we chose does not require a duct,

Uhhhh.......

psssssttttttttt ...........

Melissa ...............

Isn't that like putting in a fart fan (a bathroom exhaust fan) and not having it exhaust to the outside?

Think about it ............

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

We've just discovered a glaring point of poor planning in our kitchen remodel. We previously had a powered stove vent that was installed in the ceiling and controlled by a wall switch. The area over the stove was open, and had never had a vent hood. We didn't like the look or sound of the old vent, so had it removed and closed in. We then had the entire room re-drywalled. We of course forgot to plan for the electric to the new over the range vent hood. The kind we chose does not require a duct, so we are fine there. But how to get power now? The cabinets are not here yet, so we still have some time. There are power recepticles to either side of where the stove will go, but there are studs seperating them from where the vent will go. Will I need to have a hole cut in the wall behind where the vent or cabinet above will go, and a new electric line fed down through the wall from the attic? Is that the way to go, or is there something else that should be done? Thanks!

Melissa

Reply to
Melissa

Another vote for what Luke said. Over the range hoods achieve just one very UNimportant purpose - they redirect steam away from your face. But, beyond that they're useless. They put the steam right back into the room where it makes nearby cabinets and ceiling sticky so dust sticks better, thereby making cleaning more difficult. Go back to the type you had before.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Notwithstanding all of the comments about the ventless hood, it is not as good as an outside vented unit but certainly better than nothing. It will trap a good bit of the grease and divert the steam away from the underside of the cabinets so that they won't warp. Broan, who seems to be the market leader, makes most of their over range vents convertible from vented to unvented.

Most of the hoods have a knock out to recieve power either >We've just discovered a glaring point of poor planning in our kitchen

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

You don't need electric. That type of hood is useless and won't make any difference with or without electricity. If not ducted to the outside, it is only a decoration.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski