How to protect area from dust and water?

You're out of your mind with all that speculation, worry and crap. Bottom line is, it's a f****ng mess. Get a decent shop vac (wet) and if the guy you hired doesn't do it with a helper, then get on that thing and suck up the water as he cuts. It won't be as bad you think.

Quit worrying. That won't change a thing.

Reply to
G Henslee

x-no-archive: yes

Hate to tell you this, but you are making a big fuss over nothing? And why the massive concrete saw?

I had to do the same thing to repair a pipe under a washing machine. An electric jackhammer and a pry bar worked wonders and the slab was broken up and enough room was made to do the repair in about 1 hour. There was no dust and no other damage to the house. Cutting the mesh was done with a pair of bolt cutters and the final repair to the concrete was 2 bags of ready mix.

Reply to
The Kearsley Curse

Careful This guy's on the verge of suicide. No wonder with some of the 'advice' given to him here...

Reply to
G Henslee

You're overthinking this. A small cover made of one piece of plywood will keep the water from slinging off the blade and onto the ceiling and wall. It is not actually a cover, but just a 12" wide piece of plywood that you put around the blade, perpendicular to the hub. A helper with a wet/dry vac can keep up with any wet saw. This isn't rocket surgery.

You have an active imagination!

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Will be cutting open a hole in the kitchen floor through the concrete slab to access the pipe for repair. The cut will create a lot of dust of water (slurry?) depending on the method used. Someone suggested using plastic tarp to protect the area from getting too messy. The contractor told me it will be like starting a motorcycle in a mud puddle.

I suspect I can attach plastic tarp around the work area, the kitchen itself is 12'x12', minus the counter tops and cabinets the walking area is about

7'x9'. May be I can fence off a 6'x6' area for this work. I assume they will need two people in there? One to operate the saw and one to suck up slurry using a wet vac? The saw is probably gas powered and a big mean tube will be connecting the saw and their truck? So if I want to "drap" four sheets of plastic tarp from ceiling to floor how would I do this? Can't tape it to the ceiling will come off too easily if they step on it. Do I need to frame a 6'x6'x8' with wood studs and attach the tarp to that? Seems like an overkill. I also want to seal off the bottom so slurry will not seep pass them to end up draining into the bottom of cabinets.

Thanks for any comments.

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

Steve:

Thanks for the reply. I am simply doing what the contractors told me to do "cover everything and drap tarps floor to ceiling to avoid messy splash all over". Basically they all said that. I am suprised this newsgroup posters think otherwise...

MC

they

Reply to
miamicuse

contractors told me to do

to avoid messy splash all

suprised this newsgroup posters

Why won't the contractor do it? I have pictures of just that being done if you wanna see, just e-mail me. Don't forget to take out the BUG.

Reply to
Kathy