How to Protect Cable from Squirrels?

I discovered that the protective shield of an outdoor satellite cable was chewed off in many area. I believer squirrels did it. I still can watch satellite TV; but I am afraid that they will eventually chew deep enough that they will cut the cable. What is the standard way to protect the cable from squirrels?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

Get rid of the squirrels?

jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ.

jim evans

Bury it or cover it in conduit. Replace the chewed up run while the weather is nice- it is also a moisture shield. Supply house should sell corrugated cable armor you can stuff the exposed parts through when you reinstall it. If cost is no object, hot rod shops sell braided hose covers that would work. If you can't armor it for some reason, you can smear something bad-tasting on it so squirrels won't find it so tasty.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Conduit?

Reply to
volts500

Man they can chew through almost anything. Thin sheet metal will not stop them. A couple got into my house last year and had chewed through the siding and were almost through the drywall when we got them

You really need heavy metal conduit or remove them. There is a spray that will discourage them, but it will wash off in time.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
DCT Dictator

Thanks for all the good suggestions that I have received here.

I think I will put the new cable inside a corrugated cable to protect it.

I thought of using a metal conduit. But I don't have the equipment to bend the conduit to the correct angle (to match the roof line). Otherwise, using conduit probably will look better. This is OK.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan