Rust on meat grinder, safe?

Its how we been getting iron in our diet for years. Its no big deal just clean it and proceed.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Our hand crank meat grinder was half soaked overnight in water. Now the meat grinder have a buildup of rust around the iron cutting parts. How do I get rid of the rusts and should I continue using it for food processing?

Thanks

Reply to
Sam Nickaby

Scrub with an SOS pad or a Scotch Brite and keep on grinding. No real harm done to the grinder or to you.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As others said, a little iron won't hurt you :-). Running some fat through the grinder will help get rid of it, as will lightly coating iron parts with vegetable oil, which is regular maintenance after each use, anyway.

Reply to
Luke

. Suggestion: After cleaning run a loaf oldish, but not dried hard, bread through it will also help, to clean the screw and the cutting blades in the output of the grinder. Do not consume ground up bread!

Reply to
Terry

Best rust-remover I ever tried was cherry kool-ade. Mix it raw, with no sugar. Soak the parts for a couple hours or overnight. Rust falls right off.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

If the surface is rough enough, it will trap bacteria. Clean the rust off with Scotchbrite, steel wool or wire brush. In the future, wash right away, rinse with very hot water, dry right away. Rust is not a source for dietary iron, and if the rusted portion has some sort of plating, be sure slivers of the plating are not coming off.

Reply to
Norminn

That rust will kill you faster than rat poison. In fact you will be dead by the time this message goes thru cyberspace, so I dont know why I am replying to you.

Reply to
no_email_yet

I would just brush away any loose flaky rust, then grind some fatty red meat with it. The iron is good for you, and it won't show in ground beef or sausage.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

On Tue 02 Aug 2005 07:33:42p, Sam Nickaby wrote in alt.home.repair:

Clean the rust off with Zud or Barkeeper's Friend, wash and dry thoroughly (I put it in a slightly warm oven for a bit), then coat lightly with oil to prevent further rust.

Actually, the rust won't really hurt you, but it will discolor the food.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I hesitated to reply to this one.

The rust won't hurt you. I recall my grandmother grinding a slice or two of bread through the grinder before she did anything else. Hers aged prematurely because of the "green tomato catsup" she always made.

As a side note, I now own it and would not hesitate to use it.

Also after using she always tried to coat the parts with vegetable oil at the end of the season.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

replying to Sam Nickaby, Sassy123 wrote: someone said to soak in bleach?

Reply to
Sassy123

In the more than *ELEVEN YEARS* since Sam Nickaby made his post, the grinder rusted completely through into a pile of dust. It would be a complete waste of bleach, don't you think?

Why can't you Home Moaners Hub people read *dates*?

Reply to
Sam Hill

Sam Hill posted for all of us...

If he had sliced more gerbils he wouldn't have the rust problem. Sliced dates are another matter.

Reply to
Tekkie®