Completely serious angle grinder question

I need an angle grinder for very occasional use, initially to trim some slates. Any recommendations? Screwfix have a basic-looking Energer model for an amazing £17.49, with a Bosch at £34.99 and an Hitachi at just under the £50 mark (the only one of these which comes with a disc). Toolstation have a Makita with disc at £54.72. There is a Lidl fairly near me advertising their Parkside 2000W model (no disc) at £34.99, but it won't be available until the 4th of May and there doesn't seem to be a way of checking local availability online anyway.
Price isn't everything but obviously I don't want to pay more than I have to. Many thanks.
Bert Coules wrote:

I bought a B&Q's own crappola PowerPro job in about 1997 for a one off job. It's still going strong now having then discovered just how useful they are. I even stripped down and re-greased the gearbox a few years ago as a mark of its good service!
Mind you, for £35 the Bosch sounds cheap enough to avoid the non-name stuff.
--
Scott

Scott,
Thanks for that. The Bosch is also lighter than some, at 1.9kg, which is quite an important factor I'd have thought.
Bert
...Though the £49.99 Hitachi (which has a disc and a case) is even lighter. I think this is my current favourite option.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-g12ss-4-angle-grinder-110v/62564
Bert
On Tuesday, 28 April 2015 10:54:44 UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:

under

tion

t be

For occasional use a cheap Ferm is more than good enough. The one brand to totally avoid is power devil. A site boss bought several PD tools, all were dead 30 days later.
NT
NT wrote:

Thanks for that. I haven't come across any Ferm models in my searching: I'll have a specific look.
Bert
On 28/04/2015 11:41, Bert Coules wrote:

Ferm was the Screwfix 'Own Brand' a number of years ago. I have a number of Ferm tools which ar good for my DIY needs but I suspect that Ferm has been replaced by a different 'Own Brand'
Malcolm
On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 03:38:25 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Pretty sure it was Power Devil(*) orbital sander that exploded on me. The dicast metal backing plate just disintegrated. Lumps taken out of wall and I was finding bits of shrapnel all over the room for ages.
(*) Pale grey red fittings, dark adjustable front handle.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Dave Liquorice wrote:

My word, thanks for the warning. Bad enough in a sander, but a violently self-destroying angle grinder doesn't really bear thinking about. The Bosch is looking better and better.
Bert
On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 4:43:04 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Those are the colours of Performance Power Pro (the brand that Scott M repo rts he's had for nearly 20 years and is still going strong). Power Devil w ere red, and ceased to exist as a brand many years ago, so the likelihood o f Bert buying one is fairly remote.
Power Devil in the UK and Ferm (who are still going in the Netherlands) use d to buy the same Chinese OEM models but obviously in their own colours. T he previous posting about Ferm being good and Power Devil being no good rem inds me of the market research done for a new bleach some years ago. Consu mers were given three bottles of bleach: a yellow one, a blue one and a yel low-and-blue one and asked to test them. The yellow was weak and ineffecti ve. The blue was too harsh. The yellow-and-blue was just right. Of cours e, the bottles contained identical bleach.
For the record, I have a Power Devil router that has been doing sterling se rvice for years and I had one of their reciprocating saws that was crap and eventually emitted magic smoke and went for recycling.
The Bosch is a good price for a branded model and seems better than the oth er £35 offerings from Screwfix but the £20 125mm Lidl/Parkside one from a few weeks ago fits your original requirements too. The Lidl one you've l inked to is a full size 230mm model.
Mike wrote:

Is it still available, though? I know that Lidl stuff comes and goes, and there doesn't seem to be any way of checking availability, short of going to a store.
Bert
On 28/04/2015 17:45, Bert Coules wrote:

Most AG take 115mm discs. 125mm discs aren't as common.

On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 6:28:28 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Wouldn't you rather have an extra centimetre? (And it'll obviously take 11 5mm discs too.)
But if Bert's local store don't have them any more, it's academic.
The Medway Handyman explained :

125mm is much more useful I find and they last longer. They are not quite so common, but they can be found.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 09:39:34 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:

<snip>

Ah now you mention that and Power Devil being red it all comes back yes the exploding random orbital sander was a "Performance Power Pro".
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Tuesday, 28 April 2015 17:39:36 UTC+1, mike wrote:

ports he's had for nearly 20 years and is still going strong). Power Devil were red, and ceased to exist as a brand many years ago, so the likelihood of Bert buying one is fairly remote.

sed to buy the same Chinese OEM models but obviously in their own colours. The
I'd be curious to see the evidence for that. Feedback I've heard is very di fferent.
NT
On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 10:54:41 +0100, Bert Coules wrote:

No-brainer, the Bosch.
Don't let "comes with a disc" swing anything - they're a consumable that really doesn't last very long at all. Get a pack of the right ones for what you're cutting/grinding, and be willing to swap 'em when they start to show they're "going off". Or, of course, when they turn into a handy shirt button.
Adrian wrote:

Thanks for that, and the advice about packaged discs. The idea of a case is appealing though, and the Bosch doesn't have one of those. Whether the extra cost for, say, the Hitachi is worth it just for the case (and one disc) though, is another matter.
Bert

I bought a Bosch quite some years ago - probably about 25. It still works fine, but I only use it ocasionally.
--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
Charles,

Thanks. I have a couple of Bosch low-end power tools and they've always been entirely reliable and satisfactory.
Bert