Another 'completely serious angle grinder query'

This one relates to how fast angle grinders go.
A friend has bought a device from Arbortech that is a sanding pad that is a n attachment to an angle grinder - it vibrates rather than revolves. He fi nds it very effective but was looking to use it in a piece of woodwork wher e a flexible drive would give better access. He has a suitable drive which he ran off a corded drill but found it didn't do the biz -there seems to b e some centrifugal mechanism in the sander head.
This is an old drill and he reckons it only goes at 900rpm - my fairly rece nt one says 3000 which might be enough. However looking at my 4.5 inch ang le grinder it says 10,000 revs - is this really the disc speed or is this t he motor speed ?
Rob
ps I think my typo in the header of 'angel grinder' might have produced a m ore entertaining thread !!
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 06:59:18 -0700, robgraham wrote:

Yes, that's the disc speed...
On 29/04/2015 16:00, Adrian wrote:

And don't try to connect a flexible drive to it!
On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 4:19:35 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:

To begin with I took that on board, but when preparing to pass that advice to the owner of the Arbortech thingymebob, it did come to mind that Dremels use flexible drives and they run up to 30,000 revs.

But don't have anything like as big a thing on the end.
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 13:13:36 -0700, robgraham wrote:

And don't have a fraction of the rotating mass.
On Wednesday, 29 April 2015 14:59:21 UTC+1, robgraham wrote:
one says 3000 which might be enough. However looking at my 4.5 inch angle grinder it says 10,000 revs - is this really the disc speed
no they just make stuff up randomly

the motors can go faster
NT