Plastic sleeve for interior of old clay soil pipe - about 100mm

Anyone know of a plastic sleeve product which will go inside an old clay soil pipe? As far as I can tell the old pipe has about a 4" internal diameter.

Details: I have come across an old soil pipe which is very badly cracked - at least to the parts that I can see - and has small roots growing in to it through the cracks. The ideal thing would be to replace it with a new one but parts of the existing pipe are fairly inaccessible without going to a lot of extra cost and would require damage to an internal tiled floor that I may not be able to match with replacement tiles.

So I wondered if it was possible to buy a plastic internal sleeve for such old pipes. The idea is that the sleeve would support the walls of the existing pipe, stop water leaking through the cracks, and provide a good end to join on to the subsequent pipe.

That's the idea. Is there any product for a problem such as this? Unless it is flexible I would only need a short length - say less than 2 feet.

James

Reply to
James Harris

Weren't water companies running some sort of pig down their old ceramic pipes and lining them with plastic to save the cost of relaying them ? The ceramic providing the structural strength, and the plastic sealing any leaks ?

Suggests there's a commercial sector out there ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I think they do that for the big (12 inches and upwards) cast iron stuff.

Oddly enough I have roots getting into a 4 inch ceramic soil pipe too. I will be digging it up in the next couple of weeks and may also be trying to "line" one section (under a large shrub / small tree).

Reply to
newshound

Yes, Working for a school I saw the preparations for sleveing an old drain. It involved putting a glass fibre liner in the drain and then treating the liner with resin.

Unfortunately I did not see this done as it was decided that it was mor cost effective to continue cutting the roots (which were the original problem) than sleving the drain.

I woulds suspect that asking for quotes around the larger compaies (probably not Dyno Rod) might produce some prices/info

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

A professional company can line the inside with an epoxy soaked sleeve (inverse bandage) - this is held in place by a balloon until set. It is a standard drain repair method where direct access is undesirable.

Reply to
Tim Watts

replying to James Harris, Paul Ryan wrote: Flexeal do a joiner ideal for this it costs around 40 at Travis Perkins or online

Reply to
Paul Ryan

He sat waiting 4 years for that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

British plumbers, never come when they promise

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I've been quoted $1000 per metre to et a pipe relined! I'll google flexeal

Reply to
stevefzr