Angle Grinder Question

Hi, Hoping someone with some sense can help. I've being having problems for a long while now with 4 1/2" and 9" angle grinders that I cannot seem to fix. The trouble lays with the grinder 'snatching' while using metal cutting discs. Recently, I had a new 9" disc burst when the grinder suddenly snatched. Good job I was wearing goggles. Am I using the grinder 'upside down' ? and thereby the disc revolving the wrong way? The snatching seems to only be when I've been cutting a while ..... is it because I have relaxed my grip? and holding it too loose? I've just cut some concrete blocks and the same thing happened with the 'snatching'. Any helpful comments welcome, especially where safety is concerned. Cheers Brad.

Reply to
BRAD

You want to be using such that the natural pull of the machine is away from you.

What are you cutting? Are you applying too much force?

Reply to
John Rumm

There are two other possibilities, the wrong type of disc for what is being cut (clogging) and tilting the angle grinder whilst cutting thus causing the disc to catch.

Reply to
Jerry

Are you left-handed by any chance?

The grinder motor and gearbox should be on the right, with the disc - and guard - on the left as you use it. You should also be cutting from 'top to bottom', i.e. down into whatever you're trying to cut.

I suspect you're tilting the grinder, which will cause the disc to flex and bind on the sides of the cut.

Don't *ever* be tempted to ue it without a guard. I once saw the consequences and it wasn't pretty. The guy didn't survive.

Reply to
The Wanderer

e grinder 'upside

You will get less snatch or binding and longer disc life if you do not cut completely through the material at one end and work along. Instead, cut a slot the full length of the job then work along again, and again if necessary, gradually deepening it until you are able to easily break through.

George

Reply to
furnessvale

Ah, that sounds interesting. When the grinder snatches, it pulls towards me. The arrow on the gearbox points upwards. Can I assume that I'm using it the wrong way around? I've tried it the other way and it feels very awkward holding the trigger in my left hand and the handle in my right. It seems to snatch more that way too. Brad

Reply to
BRAD

I've tried verying the cutting force, the grider snatches wheither I cut lightly or heavy. I'm using the correct type of discs, metal cutting for metal, diamond serrated blade for concrete blocks. So, I assume it is the way I'm using the grinder that is the problem. " Tilting the grinder " sounds interesting. That could be part of the problem. Looking at what I've cut, I can see that I've been tilting the grinder quite badly. This could be due to the weight of the 9" grinder. Brad

Reply to
BRAD

Nope, right handed.

Ah, I'm using mine totally opposite way round. I'm holding the trigger with my right hand, and handle with my left hand. The gearbox is on the left and the blade on the right. The arrow on the gearbox points UPWARDS. I always start the cut from 'bottom upwards' (mainly because of the snatching seems worse the other way round). I've tried using the grinder the opposite way around and it seems very awkward, even just holding it that way.

Extremely likely, I've noticed that with prolonged use and the weight of the

9" grinder, the cut DOES tend to tilt inwards.

I have never used any grinder without a guard, especially after I had a 9" disc burst on me recently.

Brad.

Reply to
BRAD

You will get less snatch or binding and longer disc life if you do not cut completely through the material at one end and work along. Instead, cut a slot the full length of the job then work along again, and again if necessary, gradually deepening it until you are able to easily break through.

George

Hi, I've always cut stuff in the manner you state, unless it is very thin sheet. Cheers. Brad

Reply to
BRAD

But what metal, steel, cast iron or havens forbid a 'soft' non ferrous alloy?

Reply to
Jerry

Nooo, mild steel Brad

Reply to
BRAD

The typical configuration is grinder on your right - right hand on the trigger, left on the side handle. That way the top of the disc as you see it is rotating away, and the bottom of the disc (the cutting side) is travelling toward you. That should then mean you typically start the cut at the far side of the material and pull the grinder towards you. It will direct the dust in your direction, but tend to pull away from you. If it snatches, then that should be away as well.

Cutting at an angle is ok, as long as you don't change angle during the cut.

Reply to
John Rumm

That would suggest that the trigger was on the palm side of your hand though, rather than the finger side. I would have thought that felt rather odd. Or have you got a grinder with a rotating trigger handle?

If you let the weight of the machine do the cutting then you should not need to apply any lift with the side handle, just use it to keep the cut square.

When cutting stone, try a diamond disc, much faster and easier to use, and no danger of it fragmenting.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi, yes, I always use the appropriate discs when cutting. Yes, I use a diamond disc for cutting masonary, but the snatching is still the same. Brad

Reply to
BRAD